Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie looking for advice on home longarm machine >

Newbie looking for advice on home longarm machine

Newbie looking for advice on home longarm machine

Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Newbie looking for advice on home longarm machine

I have been quilting for about 2 years and always find it difficult and cumbersome to quilt my quilts on my regular sewing machine - I have a Babylock Crafters Choice. I'm wondering about a home longarm and whether it would be a good idea to think about saving up for one. Babylock sent me an email about their new Tiara machine. Any thoughts on getting a longarm and the Tiara in particular?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

I am planning to get one just for that reason, to quilt my own quilts. Not so fond of doing it on my regular machine. Mostly hate the basting process.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to a recent thread that should be helpful:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t206574.html

I don't know enough about the Tiara to comment on it. However, buying a longarm is a lot like buying a car -- you want to test drive different setups to find what feels most comfortable to you. Quilt guild shows are a good place to do this. Of the ones I have checked out, the Innova is the one I like the best. If I ever upgrade from my Voyager 17/Hinterberg frame setup, it will probably be to an Innova.

Edit: Keep in mind that it's not just the machine that's important; it's also the frame, and how the two work together.

It's a good idea to spend a year researching before investing in a longarm. The homequiltingsystems group at groups.yahoo.com is a good one for gathering information. It's a large, active group of people with setups ranging from the very inexpensive to top-of-the-line professional. Lots of good info there.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM

The Tiara is a mid-arm & it comes w/a table. So it is a sit down setup. I want one also. The Sweet 16 is basically the same machine. It doesn't take up as much room & if ya have done any FMQ before ya don't have ta learn any new skills. A long arm is bigger & comes w/a frame. It almost takes up half a room. I would never have the space ta have a long arm but I think some day I might be able ta git a Tiara or a Sweet 16.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I have a Viking 18x8 on an Imperial frame. I love it!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM

The Tiara is made by the same company who makes the Sweet Sixteen (HandiQuilter). Essentially the Tiara and Sweet 16 are the same machine. There is a price difference between the two.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM

I am hoping to get either the HQ Sweet 16 or the Babylock Tiara later this year. I like the fact that it is a sit-down machine and has a much smaller footprint than a machine on a frame. I've been researching the HQ Sweet 16 for the past few years and have tried it out several times at shows.

Cheers, K