Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Information on obtaining donations for quilt show >

Information on obtaining donations for quilt show

Information on obtaining donations for quilt show

Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Information on obtaining donations for quilt show

Does anyone know of a website which might have information on companies (quilt patterns, books, thread, fabric, tools, etc.) which will accept requests for donations to a guild's quilt show? I have tried Google various times with no results. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
MTS
Banned

All the major quilt fabric companies regularly donate items for guild activities.
Also the batting companies, notions, book publishing, thread companies, etc.

But you're going to have to write to each - addresses/emails are on their websites.
You can same the basic email/letter to all of them.
Some sites have a separate email for donations, otherwise you can write to the main address.
Supply all the information about your guild show, including the dates and location, and the address to ship the products.
Your guild can supply a reciept for the donation as well (that's usually sent after the items are received, but mention it anyway).

It would be best on guild letterhead or from a guild e-address.
Write to three or four of each category - that way you're sure to have a nice selection of prizes.

Don't write two weeks before the show, give them plenty of time to send a package.

And write to more companies than you need because you might not receive from all of them.

It's not hard, but does require some work and time on YOUR part.

Last edited by MTS; 01-15-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

MTS, this is such great information. thank you!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
MTS
Banned

Here's an example -
On the Kaufman site- in their FAQS, they specifically address the issue:
http://www.robertkaufman.com/faq/#g4
And they're requested at least a 6 week lead time - with no guarantee that it will be honored.

What about the person who performed this function for the last show?
Does she still have her notes?

Last edited by MTS; 01-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Thank you MTS - I am going to get right on this. The person from the last show who performed this function has basically ignored requests for the information --- which is why I have gone to the Board.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM
MTS
Banned

The other thing I wanted to add was to make sure in your letter/emails you mention that the company will be included in the show program/advertisements (as a sponsor or supplies).
Can't hurt.
And I've seen something similar in most guild pamphlets/brochures.

And sorry for all the typos - new laptop, and the keyboard and I are NOT bonding.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Sorry, I can't help you with that, but I can tell you that my quilt guild has a "boutique" at the quilt show. What that is is a small store we set up and sell items we receive as donations. We plan this well in advance and our members and anyone else who would like donate items which we then sale at pure profit. It is a ton of work, but the members love it. Because everything is donated, we can sell things at very low prices. Ex: current quilting magazines for 3 for $1.00, fat quarters for 50 cents and material for $1.50 a yard. The boutique is a big draw and brings a lot of money into the guild. I believe our last show cleared over $3000.00. It is tons of fun to go shopping at such cheap prices, and a great feeling when you walk out with a huge bag of quilting items for just a few dollars.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM

no1jan: We do this in the form of a "Country Store". It is well organized and very colorful. Definitely a money maker for us.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
Thank you MTS - I am going to get right on this. The person from the last show who performed this function has basically ignored requests for the information --- which is why I have gone to the Board.
I guess that you will have to show her how it is done. .
Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
All the major quilt fabric companies regularly donate items for guild activities.
Also the batting companies, notions, book publishing, thread companies, etc.

But you're going to have to write to each - addresses/emails are on their websites.
You can same the basic email/letter to all of them.
Some sites have a separate email for donations, otherwise you can write to the main address.
Supply all the information about your guild show, including the dates and location, and the address to ship the products.
Your guild can supply a reciept for the donation as well (that's usually sent after the items are received, but mention it anyway).

It would be best on guild letterhead or from a guild e-address.
Write to three or four of each category - that way you're sure to have a nice selection of prizes.

Don't write two weeks before the show, give them plenty of time to send a package.

And write to more companies than you need because you might not receive from all of them.

It's not hard, but does require some work and time on YOUR part.
And don't forget to follow up with a written thank you from the Guild.