Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Weekend Help! >

Quilting Weekend Help!

Quilting Weekend Help!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Default Quilting Weekend Help!

On my bucket list is to attend a quilting weekend seminar - never attended one before. Can anyone recommend one that is coming up this spring? In the DE,MD,PA,VA NJ area? And what should I look for when I find one online? It is a daunting search for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
MTS
Banned

Don't know any retreats off hand , but maybe a quilt show and classes would work for you?

The Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival is just around the corner - it's a well run show (quilts/vendors/classes), and and just a couple of hours away (depending where in Delaware you live).
http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=8

Or Lancaster:
http://lancasterquiltshow.com/

Or NJ Quiltfest:
http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=30

The two big PA shows are late summer/Sept (I think).

eta: Unless you really want to be in a class or sew on your own project for two days (and ain't nothing wrong with that!).

Last edited by MTS; 01-16-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 AM

I guess if you can't find one online pop into your local quilting shop, they seem to know everything! Or could you try to organise one! One of our bed and breakfasts offers quilting and scrap booking retreats, I guess all you need is a conference room with ample power points, tables and light. Maybe there are other quilters in your area that take classes who would also be interested in a retreat?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Our local quilt shop organizes one in the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York, and I've seen some advertised in the Berkshires and Vermont - a bit more northerly than you want. Quilt Odyssey, a really great show in Hershey, Pa, used to sponsor a retreat, but I don't see any info on their website.

I would ask at your local quilt shop, and maybe think about what MTS is suggesting, too.

Janet
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM

I am going to the Lancaster show, but with a friend who doesn't quilt. I am looking for a weekend (or other) getaway. I enjoyed the NJ show very much last year, a relative in law had an Elvis quilt displayed. It was a great show.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Don't know any retreats off hand , but maybe a quilt show and classes would work for you?

The Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival is just around the corner - it's a well run show (quilts/vendors/classes), and and just a couple of hours away (depending where in Delaware you live).
http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=8
I've had to miss this in the past but I'm scheduling my time in NOW so I won't miss it again. I've heard great things about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
On my bucket list is to attend a quilting weekend seminar - never attended one before. Can anyone recommend one that is coming up this spring? In the DE,MD,PA,VA NJ area? And what should I look for when I find one online? It is a daunting search for me.

My question is what do you mean by seminar? To me a seminar is a lecture with possibly a slide show on the subject. A quilt seminar to me is a trunk show and lecture.

Did you mean a retreat where you go and spend the whole weekend sewing? Or did you mean a workshop at a quilt show where you have a class from a teacher for an afternoon?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM

I guess I mean a retreat - where we can go to quilt and relax with a group of quilters, either with a project led by a instructor or work on our own project. There are quite a few online, but would like to know some actual information from qb members before I commit to this large investment of time and $$.

Thanks for letting me know I needed to qualify my request.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
My question is what do you mean by seminar? To me a seminar is a lecture with possibly a slide show on the subject. A quilt seminar to me is a trunk show and lecture.

Did you mean a retreat where you go and spend the whole weekend sewing? Or did you mean a workshop at a quilt show where you have a class from a teacher for an afternoon?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Just did a quick search here for Delaware members http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...sername&order= maybe you could look through to see someone who is quite active on the forum and send them a PM. It's easy for members to miss a posting. And hope you get to go to a retreat, I love them.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM

check with your local quilt shop or google to find a local quilt guild. Most of them have weekend retreats...some more than one...and most will take non-members. Prices are usually reasonable and lots of fun. EVen if you don't know folks when you go, you'll have new friends by the end.