Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Small Steam Iron >

Small Steam Iron

Small Steam Iron

Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Default Small Steam Iron

I ordered this iron from Amazon and it has made my life soooo much easier! I absolutely love it.
It is the perfect size for working with squares or applique and so light to use, especially since I have
changed to using glue versus pinning as an iron comes into play more often. Just thought I would pass this wonderful find along... I have not used the steam feature, am quite content with just a hot iron.

Here are the details from my order.

SteamFast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$19.99

Joan
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM

I got the same one one for Christmas and it is so handy to have next to the sewing machine for ironing seams while piecing. I also haven't yet used the steam. I also got the DH to cut me a piece of thin board and then slipped it into a towel sewn shut on two sides. The board sits next to the sewing machine with the handy new iron and works great.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 AM

Thank you, I will be checking into this iron as I want a small one set up next to my sewing table.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Smile

I have seen these at Tuesday Morning Stores. Not sure what the price was Thinking 10 or 12 dollars. Went to look and the price on the box was $14.99. I bought one, but have not used it yet. But that is just a me thing.
I have a Oliso Iron still brand new in the box for 4 years. I tend to do that with almost everything I buy. I guess that is why I have a fabric stash. Has not aged enough to use yet. lol

Last edited by one-and-only; 01-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM

I got one last week as we can no longer bring full sized irons to the retreat I go to. For its size, it works well, and it's nice for getting into small areas. Still, I'd rather use my regular sewing iron - one of WM's $10 ones! As for the steam: It works, but as the reservoir only holds 1.2 oz., has to be filled frequently!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM

I love my little Rowenta travel iron - larger than this one but works/steams great! Love JoAnn coupons!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 AM

A travel iron is great for the small quick jobs. I have one next to my machine with a small portable ironing board. These both go with me when I go south for the winter. The handle on the iron folds. The legs on the board fold. I don't have much space in the car so they are great. Also, I take a small folding table, bought at Wal-mart, to set up my machine. The places we rent don't always supply tables that will work for sewing.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM

I love this iron. It "fits" my hand. It heats up soooo fast. It does NOT have an automatic turn-off. The steam feature is great: it doesn't hold much water but it does come with its own little spout-cup for filling. For piecing and applique, it is the best iron I've ever used and so convenient. I seldom have to drag out the big ironing board and iron anymore. I do have a home-made ironing board that sits to the left of my chair, on a small cabinet. It's about 24 x 18 inches, a particle board covered with batting and canvas. I keep the iron "on", sitting on a little hot plate.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I found this via a Search. I just got my Steam-fast iron and need to know how you changed the voltage setting. it says to use a pen.well I try and try and it doesn't move left or right. I have no idea what it's set at now. even found my magnifying glasses and can't see a thing! anyone???? well reading the manual online it says it's set for what I need. hopefully they are right.

Last edited by nativetexan; 08-19-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I too found it at Tuesday Mornings on clearance several years ago. I bought another one to have as a spare. It's a great little iron. I use it with the big Olfa Fold Away. Perfect combination for workshops. The Fold Away is 40% off at CT right now too!

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...y__D71080.HTML