Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blazing Star Assemby Help Needed! >

Blazing Star Assemby Help Needed!

Blazing Star Assemby Help Needed!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Question Blazing Star Assemby Help Needed!

I am trying the http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patte....html?idx=7917 for the blazing star. I have no idea how to piece the diamonds. I can't find any tutorial either and the instructions are so vague. I've already cut the pieces as per the instructions (individual diamonds). Help, please! So frustrated!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM

Sorry to hear you've already cut the diamonds! Ouch! Much easier to strip piece and then cut a 60 deg. angle. That said...when matching your diamonds, you will need to line up your edges but have 'ears' on both ends. Each ear should be 1/4" past the other diamond.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Should I just scrap the material I already have? It was for one 12" block only so not a huge waste of fabric. It's SO frustrating!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM

The McCall's instructions said to cut individually and are not at all descriptive in what I'm supposed to do. Do I trim the corners to match up before I assemble to the next piece?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM

I have not done this pattern but I have a friend who showed me how to connect these type of blocks. You need to turn the diamonds over (back side) and make a mark 1/4" from the outside edge - all the way around the diamonds. Then you join the diamonds and do not stitch beyond the 1/4" line and I believe you need to stop sewing 1/4" before any intersections - but that should be part of your marking. I hope this is correct - perhaps someone else can check these directions.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 AM

No need to scrap the fabric unless you're just totally frustrated by now. Starch your fabs HEAVILY before you start playing if you have not already done so. As Otis suggests, you can mark your 1/4" sewing lines on the reverse - it might help as well. And yes, do not stitch beyond the 1/4" mark. When you have your pieces right sides together, they are going to look like they don't line up in any way, shape or form. They will look like they are at almost a 45 deg angle while laying on top of one another. One trick you can also try (which I do for paper piecing)...put your pieces together the way you think they should line up. Place a pin ON THE SEWING LINE and flip it over to see if things are lined/matched up correctly.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM

I may try it out again today thanks to everyone's great advice. I just wish there was a video tutorial I could watch to ensure it's correct.

I took the night to think about it and take a break and now am ready to try it once again.

This is the best sounding board (especially when thoroughly frustrated)!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM

One trick you can also try (which I do for paper piecing)...put your pieces together the way you think they should line up. Place a pin ON THE SEWING LINE and flip it over to see if things are lined/matched up correctly.[/QUOTE]

NJ Quilter:Thank you for this tip. I love the finished look of pp. But get frustrated with my self when I flip it and it is no where near where I thought it would be. elizabeth_agd, good luck. I bet with these quilters tips it will go right together and be beautiful.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by elizabeth_agd View Post
Should I just scrap the material I already have? It was for one 12" block only so not a huge waste of fabric. It's SO frustrating!
I wouldn't scrap it - I'd lay out the pieces to form the shape you want, then piece a pair at a time, placing it back on the board in the correct location....but the next time I'd use the strip set method...a lot easier.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

You need to befriend the set-in seam or Y-seam. Depending on the size of the pieces, I sew mine by hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU434QxfSqw
http://www.quiltuniversity.com/y_seams.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkHfcuNzCA