Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help eith sewing cabinet >

need help eith sewing cabinet

need help eith sewing cabinet

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 AM

Default need help eith sewing cabinet

Does anyone know a way to convert an old sewing cabinet so that a newer machine can sit down i. it sewing surfzce of my machine and cabinet are the same. Right now I have to just sit my machine ontop of cabinet which makes it a little to high for me to sew comfortably. Any suggstions
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 AM

Could a carpenter/ joiner/ handy person change the whole shape? I assume that is your problem I had a table extension in clear Perspex which was cheap and not exactly correct size for my machine. A friends husband did it for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 AM

my husband cut a hole bigger in my old cabinet i found and then we ordered a lift and he put it in there some how
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the same problem. I bought an old cabinet that someone had totally refurbished and I bought it for $5 at a second hand store and it's too small for my Singer 401 Slant O Matic. I so want to be able to put my Singer in it, also. I would love a lift and a bigger hole that fits it perfectly, just like you want. It's been sitting in my garage for two years. I almost took it back to the second hand store, but thought better of it.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 AM

Trace your sewing machine on the wood. Take a jigsaw and cut out around the line you drew. Sand around it so you don't get splinters and there you have it. I don't think jigsaws are very expensive. This would be a great little DIY project. You got a real bargain.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM

As I understand it, you can't really cut out the top because the top of the cabinet is too small to allow you to have it cut to fit your machine. Therefore, would it be possible to cut the legs of the cabinet so that it is at the right height and yet you can still sit at it? Or you could try an adjustable height chair.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM

my husband did exactly that for me just measure and mark around the machine for the cut out and of course you would have to put some kind of stop for the top to set on. I hve a real old cabinet around 1940 I think, it is very nice with drawers on the right side in fact I got a new machine and he did a little more precise cutting so I have two machines that fit the cabinet I love it. you can use wood plexiglass the heavy kind mine is wood stained to match the cabinet