Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I use a FMQ'ing foot, or walking foot? >

Do I use a FMQ'ing foot, or walking foot?

Do I use a FMQ'ing foot, or walking foot?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Default Do I use a FMQ'ing foot, or walking foot?

I have a quilt pieced and basted together, and started marking it with baptist fans. I tried using the FMQ foot, but my lines were a bit wobbly. I am still relatively new to all of this, and then I wondered if perhaps I should be using a walking foot. Would I be able to curvy lines with one?

What do the experts suggest? Right now the quilt sits in a heap at the machine, while I find all kinds of other things to create. And that's how UFO's start.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM

I only do straight stitch quilting with my walking foot. I never tried to do curves with it. You might want to do some practicing with your FMQ foot on a something to get the motion of your design down, that might help when you do the quilting. I like to have fun with my quilting so a few wavy lines would not bother me.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

You can quilt gentle curves with your walking foot. The problems arise if you need to change directions with a straight stitching foot. When you FMQ you can go in all directions without having to change the quilts position in the machine harp. With the walking foot, a direction change will necessitate turning/scrunching/rolling the quilt through the harp to go in another direction.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 PM

FMQ gets better with.....drum roll......PRATICE. With practice your muscles loosen up and you get muscle memory. Make some practice quilt sandwiches about fat quarter size.

Now set the stage. Get out some music; for Babtist fan, maybe a waltz. Do the elephant walk. Quilt with big arm movements to loosen up. Bring them down to the size you want. You're getting better. Now do it all again, and again, as many times as it takes to feel like you got it. You can reuse the sandwich over and over; turn is 90 degrees and use a different color thread.

You'll get it. Just........PRACTICE. You didn't walk very well the first time....etc. Don't expect to do as good as an experienced person first time around.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

You might be able to do the Baptist Fan with your walking foot. It depends on how big the curves are. I would mark a test sandwich and try it. I have done echo quilting with a walking foot, but in that case I did stop quite frequently to lift the presser foot and adjust the fabric.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for your input, ladies! Because the quilt is queen size, it will be a struggle to weild that thing through my DSM, let alone stopping to turn direction with a walking foot. So I guess I will continue with the FMQing foot. I do okay on the top of the fans where it's a long line, but as the lines get shorter, I get wobblier.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

do some practice blocks first doing them with your walking foot. it's do able.
Wow, just found this one being done with FMQ foot-I wouldn't try it but-
http://www.dontcallmebetsy.com/2012/...tist-fans.html

Last edited by nativetexan; 03-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Walking foot helps to move all layers of fabric at the same time........BTW.......nice avatar your name......it's called ?? Calla
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 AM

Native texan: looks like she used a walking foot, and I think the wobbles add charm. I'll try again.

Calla: not sure if your comment was directed to me, but the inspiration comes from Bonnie Hunter. Smokey Mountain Stars she calls it. Here's the link: http://quiltville.com/smokeymtstars.shtml
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM

You might want to check this out. It is very informative.

Go to ---- petitdesignco.com --- then click on Petit Design Co. 31 Days of Walking Foot Quilting