Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
spicey spiral and star blocks >

spicey spiral and star blocks

spicey spiral and star blocks

Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Default spicey spiral and star blocks

I attended a quilting retreat this past weekend, March8>10,in central Minnesota, and here are a couple of things that I did. I have always wanted to do the spicey spiral, and have had the ruler for quite some time, and finally picked up the directions. I used some scrap pieces of fabric, in case it didn't turn out, my husband would have a strange grease rag, but it turned out ok for me, so no grease rag for him. I still have to bat, back and quilt it, but just had to share first. I will use another season of fabric on back, to make it be useable for a longer period of time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401508[/ATTACH]
Mine is the red and green one, and my sister, after seeing mine, found some scrap fabrics at their bargain barn and sewed up the blue and red one. For the life of us, we don't know what we did different to make our sprials go opposite directions. I am going to experiment with my next one, to see if I can figure it out.
Then, at the bargain barn, where other quilters brought things that they no longer had use for, and the proceeds from the sales, goes into scholarships for other quilters to attend the retreats, if they need help with funding. I found a bag that had the stars all cut, enough for 20 squares and the green fabric-Moda- to use to fill out the squares. I paid $5 for that. There are Y seams, so I had to put a couple together, to see how difficult it would be. I think I can do it, they were not too bad. But now, I have to set it aside and get some of the existing projects finished up first.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401509[/ATTACH]
Enjoy looking, and know that I have really enjoyed sewing. So uplifting to be with almost 75 women, who enjoy the same passion that I do. Great weekend. I so recommend to anyone who has never been on a retreat, to try to go to one. My sister and sister-in-law were also there, which made it so enjoyable. We each drove about 3 hours, to meet in the middle, and I am planning on going back in October. I even picked up some FMQ tips, and I will actually try some of that on the star block quilt, after practicing on the spiral table runner. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails img_0318.jpg   img_0320.jpg  

Last edited by spartan quilter; 03-13-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

​Great projects!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Love those stars. The fabric makes them!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Wow, love the spirals and the Christmas stars are beautiful. My friend and I are going on a retreat the end of April. Can't wait! It is always so much fun and so worth it. Ours is smaller, generally between 15-20.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Love the spiral placemats.

Those stars are stunning. Any idea of the pattern please.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Love the spicy spirals but really love those stars!!! Wonder what fabric they are? Would prob never find it now but they are beautifully done , using the fabric so well! Pure serendipity finding them at such a bargain.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Love the blocks! The Spicy Spirals are great also! I too wonder how they got turned opposite directions. . . I bought the pattern and ruler a couple of years ago and I still haven't done it yet. . .
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM

I have made 5 spicy table runners. I just love the way they look. Everyone thinks they are very difficult and take a really long time to make. they are surprised when I tell them how easy it is. But, they look great. Yours is beautiful.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Table runners are great but those stars are AWESOME - 20 for $5 what a deal you got. I think I still have some of that fabric it was a Christmas line several years ago, but probably not enough to do something like that.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM

I haven't made any of the spicy spirals yet, but when I looked at the two of them, I thought maybe one of you cut, or sewed the pattern upside down, or backwards. Not really sure what happened, but maybe you and your sister can figure it out. I love going to yard sales, and thrift stores, and finding things already started, and cheap. I think the stars were a steal for 5.00 dollars. I think your star blocks are sooo interesting, I hope you show it finished on the quilting board. Good job, good luck to you, and keep up the good work.