Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your help >

Need your help

Need your help

Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Beautiful quilt and so sorry that it was stolen. Maybe the question should you ask is what would we pay for it - maybe they would accept quotes to buy since you can't document your cost. If I could afford it I would pay you $800, easily. Sorry again that there are so many people trying to get something at others expense.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM

A gazillion million dollars...
So sorry for your loss
i made a twin size, using mediocre fabric, guitterman thread, W&N batting, LA=$110, That quilt came to $300.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM

I really don't know, but I would say at least a $1000. First I would try and put together the cost of everything and at least triple that and see where I am at. There seems to be a lot of quilting, I know one isn't able to get paid for your time as much as one should. Have to chalk part of that up as therapy. I agree check with the Amish, I think they charge by the amount of thread, I don't know how much.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 PM

IMHO, I think only a certified appraiser can give you the approximate value and since it has been stolen, I would not know how he/she could evaluate it in order to make an insurance claim. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM

We have purchased at least 8 quilts back in the 1990's when we lived in Millersburg, Ohio and we went to the auctions to support the Amish school. Back then we, paid for quilts like this up to $2,000 and the least we ever paid was $950.00. They were all handquilted and made by the local community. This was supporting charity and I was not quilting at all (no time) but the quality of the quilts was spectacular and I still have every one of them and still use them. People came from New York to buy the quilts and they almost all sold between $1,000 - $3,000.00 back then so your quilt is spectacular and would probably be well worth over $3,000.00. So sorry it was stolen...just don't understand people today.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM

I once had a insurance claim that should have included materials and time and workmanship. The insurance company would only pay for the value of the materials not my time spent. Hopefully yours will pay more than just materials. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Ladies,Thank you so much for your kind replies, you have been a great help.
I feel that you gave excellent price suggestions.
It's a blessing to be able to get help so instantly when needed.
Blessings to all who took time to reply.
Traditional
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

You would have to supply replacement value and I would figure the fabric requirements @$12 per yard. Add batting and you've gotten some good feedback on quilting charges. How sad that this beauty went to someone with sticky fingers.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry I can't help you but who is low enough to steal that gorgeous quilt what a shame. Good luck pricing I would think it would be worth a lot just the materials alone and all the work you put into it. So sorry for your loss. Sue
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional View Post
I have a problem that I feel I can find the answer here. I need your input on how to price a quilt that has been stolen. I will give you the information and post a picture for you to see the quality of workmanship I appreciate your input in advance.
Queen/king size
all cotton top quality quilt shop fabric
Quilter's dream cotton 100 % batting
backing compliments the fabric used in the quilt(not muslin type)
Hand quilted mettler's hand quilting thread and mettler's silk finish thread.
Unfortunately, you must have had the quilt appraised prior to it's being stolen to claim anything other than cost of materials against your insurance. That's the reply I was given when some things were stolen from my home.