Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this...where's the back?? >

New to this...where's the back??

New to this...where's the back??

Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Question New to this...where's the back??

Hi all! I am so new to quilting, that I'm still just playing around with scrap pieces of material trying to cut things straight and make them fit. I'm considering ordering a kit from Fons & Porter, but I noticed that they all say "includes material for top and binding". (I know this sounds silly) Where do I get the material for the back of the quilt? Before you tell me just to pop down to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or my local quilt store my husband and I are currently living in Germany, so it's not so easy. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM

I've not ordered backing fabric online but others can give you suggestions of great sites to do so.

Also you can do a scrappy backing and make it a reversible quilt if you choose.

A third choice (which some might call cheating, but my family loves) is to use fleece as a combination backing/batting.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Hi Armywife: Welcome from Oregon. The backing is usually, not always, sold separate from the top and binding. Usually the company that sells the kit also sells coordinated fabric to go with it. Since your not within easy driving distance (LOL), I would recommend that you find a supplier that has both so you only have to order once and you can be sure the colors match. Another possibilty is using blankets or sheets for the backing. There is some disagreement about using sheets but I have and have been happy with the results.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I believe Connecting Threads always mentions how much fabric is required for the backing on their kits. This makes it easy to order a coordinating fabric in the right amount for the quilt kit.

Alternatively, you can figure out from the finished dimensions of the quilt how much fabric will be required for the backing.

Many quilters wait until a top is finished before going shopping for a backing fabric. The backing fabric does not need to be part of the top. However, for convenience, you may want to order coordinating backing fabric at the same time as the kit. If you cannot easily find the information online, you may want to email or call the company to ask what coordinating fabric is available for the backing and how much you will need.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

My Daughter bought me a quilt lit from connecting threads and there was plenty of fabrics left for a scrappy back. They say how much fabric was needed but, I found there was plenty.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM

a lot of people just use muslin. I would think that is available in Germany.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Dear Armywife - I am a German quilter in Germany! There are quiltshops here, but I wold recommend that you order your fabric from the States on the internet - German fabric prices are ridiculously high. A good website with good prices is: www.thousandsofbolts.com. Hope this helps.! And please DON'T buy German muslin: it is too thick and when you wash it you end up with 1000000 wrinkles that refuse to be ironed out.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 PM

I just use plain old muslin.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Interesting about the German muslin. Guess I take our quilt shops and fabric for granted.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Fabric in Germany is also very expensive in comparison to what's offered in the States. There are quite a few sources that send overseas, and assuming you have an APO address there shouldn't be any problems with shipping.

I think the reason why kits don't include the backing is that the kit would be unreasonably expensive. Backing takes yardage that would push the cost over the top.

Where are you in Germany?