Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools! >

Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM

Default Aurifil vs Mettler & must have tools!

Hello! I'm new to this forum.. actually I'm new to forums in general. I'm wondering which quilting thread everyone prefers.. I've heard a lot of good things about both lines. I'm new to quilting so I'd like to start with something that won't leave me frustrated and disheartened!

What are you experiences with these two thread brands?

Also, what are some must have tools I should stock up on?

Thank you in advance!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM

I have just recently started to buy Aurifil and love it. I have used Mettler and Gutterman for years & my machine works well with them, but I have heard some complaints from others. Why not buy one of each in a generic grey tone that you can use for all your piecing & then you'll know which one you prefer.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Both threads are good threads. I'm using Aurifil now because I stocked up when I found a sale. I have used so many brands of thread over the years that I now buy whatever name brand is on sale. I just ordered cones of 70wt poly from Connecting Threads. That thread is being discontinued and it is excellent bobbin thread for me and good to fmq.

I wouldn't stock up on a lot of tools just starting out. Each quilt will provide the opportunity to try new tools.
I know my tool choices have changed from year to year I've been quilting. I use the Go die cut machine for most all my fabric cutting so I don't need a lot of rotary blades or rulers I've collected.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM

I use aurifil, mettlers and the cotton thread from connecting threads. I find that the mettler cotton thread is the most linty. but I still like the thread, and will continue to use it up until its gone <g>
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM

I am a big fan of Aurifil.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM

I love Aurifil, but it's pricey. I try to buy it when I find it on sale!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM

I always used Mettler silk-finish but then I tried Aurifil. It is a little thinner (still strong) and a bobbin filled with Aurifil seems to last forever. Since I hate to stop and fill bobbins, I now exclusively use Aurifil.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM

I have used gutterman, mettler, connecting thread, all work well and are readily available, haven't tried aurifil because it is expensive and the others are more affordable and work just fine. I use gutterman the most because I can use joanns coupons
Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Check out the website for Superior Threads. It is a good place to learn about threads. They have a great newsletter and lots of education on threads. I've ordered the DVD - now I just need to watch it.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

I used Mettler silk finish cotton thread for years. Finally tried a spool of Aurifil 50wt 2-ply and *LOVE* it! It is smoother, finer (so more fits on the bobbin), and creates very little lint compared to Mettler. Although a spool of Aurifil is expensive, it seems to me there is a lot more thread on the spool. Even if there weren't, I'd still buy Aurifil over Mettler.