Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paducah 2013 - first time need advice >

Paducah 2013 - first time need advice

Paducah 2013 - first time need advice

Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Talking Paducah 2013 - first time need advice

My mom and I will be going to the Paducah quilt show for the first time! We will be there Wednesday and Thursday. Looking for tips from all the ladies that have been there before. What to bring, where to stop, where to avoid if any and all the other things I can't think of. We are so excited and are sure we will be overwhelmed by all the quilts and people. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM

You lucky girl! I haven't been there but that trip is on my wish list. Will be watching this post also. Have a really good time and let us know all about your experiences. I would think that one must have would be good walking shoes.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

comfortable shoes, comfortable clothes; plan a budget & only take what you can afford to spend- it's way too easy to spend way too much really fast.
browse and wait- then go back to the vendors booths you really want to buy from. I always put a certain amount of $$ on a pre-paid Visa, then take a specific amount of cash & leave the rest at home...
if taking classes/workshops check over the descriptions/supply list/necessities ahead of time- go prepared & on time.
take the time to enjoy& watch all the free demo's...try out lots of things that may interest you- try things out- ask questions- if an area is crowded, simply continue on- then wander back that way later- it will still be there & may be easier to enjoy, experience when you go back. pick up business cards, newsletters, flyers to look through later at your leisure.
enjoy yourselves- smile lots, take breaks when you need one.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 PM

The whole town gets into the show. Vendors all over. At the main quilt show there will be plenty of flyers letting you know where lots of stuff is. Downtown shops have vendors set up. Also the mall past Hancock's has venders. Don't forget to look up the Boy Scouts outside. THey sell the best strawberry shortcakes.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Here is a bunch of info:
1. Take one day for shopping. Start at CarsonPark which is Eleanor Burns Central. Tent for her new show at 10, 1, and 4. Check all this on the www.quiltinaday.com website. There is a tent for the show,a building for her retail sales of supplies and last year, batiks were in back. Then there is a huge huge tent with thousands of bolts of fabric for $5 per yard. Get your coupon on the QIAD site above. There are also discounts for color of the day, end of bolt, etc.

She also has a good store downtown full of fabric and a warehouse store. All are on the bus or trolley lines for those without cars. All the same price but may have different color of the day discount. Also a new liquidation store at 400 block of Broadway, new this year.

Then if you have energy, check out Hancocks of Paducah but only after Eleanor Burns. Big and crowded but with plenty of cutters and cashiers. Never had to wait long.

Rotary Show is small but the vendors are good and the batik booth, cherrywood hand dyes, and others are here. $5 entry but get a wristband to come back. Still have energy, there may be vendors at the Mall or you can head downtown to the vendors on Kentucky. Almost forgot the museum. Between downtown and the convention center.

Second Day, show. Get your hand stamped since there are multiple entry points and don't forget the big white blow up building outside. Some really choice vendors there and some more quilts.

Food. Difficult. There are fast food places outside the show and a tent with picnic tables. You can go downtown to Kirchoffs Bakery and Deli for fast and delicious salads and sandwiches. See their website for location, hours and menu.

http://kirchhoffsbakery.com/

Several churches have wonderful meals during quilt week. The two best are Friday night for Taste of Paducah and Saturday night at the Methodist church. Worth more than they are charging and wonderful people. Check here for details:
http://www.paducah.travel/quilting/a...t-show-dining/
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Be prepared and have some idea of what you are looking for if shopping. There is just so dang much it is overwhelming. The discount places like Eleanor Burns are not in the convention center. There is another discount store with a large inventory across the street from the museum entrance and a block or so from Eleanor's downtown store.

Hancocks is somewhat difficult since most of the fabric is sorted by manufacturer and is full retail price. When you enter the store, go all the way to the right down the hall to the warehouse. Sale fabric is priced by the yard in huge stacks. NOT as cheap as Eleanor's and I was quite disappointed last year. Maybe it will be better this year. Know your local prices on batting since Hancocks has a huge selection. This is the spot to check if you need something special.

There are Paducah ambassadors in red coats? in the convention center atrium area. They will answer questions, hand out maps, etc. Good resources. There is a Post Office set up there also to mail and a package or coat hold area.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:00 PM

Oh, and the people of Paducah are very helpful and welcoming. I have even been offered rides. One trolley driver gave us a narrated tour of downtown. I love the free bus and trolley. Saves my feet and saves having to wait for others.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:24 PM

My best advise would be to have a purse that goes over your neck so that your arms are free. Comfortable shoes are a must. You HAVE to eat the strawberry shortcake outside under the tent from the Boy Scouts - a big fundraiser for them, I am sure. My DD lives in Paducah so that stops my worrying about where to stay. She is taking off work for 3 days to chauffer me and DH around - she has a tiny car that can manuever in tight parking spots. So, don't have any experience in staying at a hotel or taking the bus around. You will be absolutely amazed at the amount of busses that you will see in the parking lots of the shopping malls, restaurants, etc. My DH still tells people that all of the busses in the US are in Paducah during Quilt Week. Hancocks of Paducah is a MUST SEE - however almost everything is at high retail price - very few bargains unless you can find something in their back room. Hancocks of Paducah is NOT the same as the regular Hancocks Fabric Stores - all together different. But, still, it is well worth going to see it. 10 rows of batiks - no kidding. It isn't a "cutsie" quilt shop - don't think that they even have fat quarters. But, lots of quilts/tops hanging from the rafters and patterns to match. Can't wait till next week!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Enjoy your trip. We will not be going this year, but when we do go we stay out at Kentucky Lake. It's just a short (20-30 minutes away) and is quiet and serene. Since we live in a rural area the crowds tend to get to me so staying at the lake is a good way to relax and unwind. Food in the courtyard is very expensive but there is a Bob Evans near Hancocks. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes and carry a tote bag. Paducah is a wonderful experience and you will see unbelievable quilts (it makes me want to hide mine).

Enjoy, Carolyn
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
yel

a large shopping bag to hold goodies and if you still need an adventure patty's