Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which ruler do you use and why do you prefer it? >

Which ruler do you use and why do you prefer it?

Which ruler do you use and why do you prefer it?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Which ruler do you use and why do you prefer it?

For the past few months I have been thinking of making a quilt with this block, but was lost with the variety of rulers for this job. I have seen three different rulers: one by Eleanor Burns, one by Darlene Zimmerman and one by Marti Michell.

Which ruler do you use and why do you prefer it? Please, help me choose the right one for me.
Attached Thumbnails floatingstar1.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Haven't made this block yet but I have and use the 8" square with the 1/2' seam allowance, 6x12', 6" square. whatever pattern you're working on there are some patterns you can use the same ruler for. you can go to Missouri Star quilt company on YouTube or just Google. Lots of tutorials for patterns and rulers.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM

I have the Marti Michell Wonder Triangles (by Quilt Sense) ruler. I bought it at eBay, was cheap and makes triangles in 8 sizes. Haven't tried it yet though but am planning to make the same blocks and use Bonnie Hunter's free patters.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 AM

I made that block using Eleanor Burns rulers. Very easy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:49 AM

I've made that block and use a 6x24 ruler to cut out the strips for the center and corner blocks. I use Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler for the other.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

you do not *have to have* the specialty rulers to make most blocks that offer them- but often they do make the job easier- and it kind of depends on who's instructions you are following- if you are using a pattern by Eleanor Burns it is going to be written with instructions for her ruler. each one works fine- but you need to follow the instructions for the one you choose- I have lots of rulers---and generally choose them by-finding them on sale- or wanting to use a specific pattern that recommends a specific ruler- I have rulers by Eleanor Burns, Marti Mitchell and Darlene --- they all work well for what they are designed to do. ...so go with the one recommended for your pattern or the one you find on sale- or make the block with a regular ruler & see if you think you would make these blocks again- and the specialty ruler would be handy- I do have rulers that I've only used once & they live in a drawer for years- no use- because they were for something I will probably never do again...those are not worth the $$!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 AM

Of course, all of these "companies" want you to buy "their" rulers, but you can make all of these blocks without spending a fortune on specialized rulers. I just have a 4x13, 4x36, 6x24 straight rulers and a couple of square rulers. If you're worried about not being able to get the right angle for the star points, they're very easily done by paper piecing.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I think I might have seen an Eleanor Burns Quilt in A day show where she didn't use any special ruler for the pointed stars, and maybe she used her own flying geese ruler. Her videos are free on her website.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

The points on the star pictured ARE NOT flying geese. The angle is different and the resultant patch is a square, not a rectangle. I use the TriRecs rulers (Zimmerman)
http://www.doveoriginalstrims.com/se...Tool-by/Detail

I also have the Marti Michell, but like the Tri Recs better.
For some reason, I love any quilt with the 'squared triangle' patch. Storm at sea, tennessee waltz, 54-40 etc.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 AM

Eleanors rulers usually give you the opportunity to square up, so if you're not great at the quarter inch seam there's room for error. But the down side to her ruler would be you need more fabric and her rulers usually only have one or two different sizes that you can make with one ruler. Zimmermans ruler comes with many option for sizes but requires a bit more accuracy in piecing. I personally have Zimmermans rulers. It really all comes down to how comfortable you are with your piecing and the instructions. I think I would watch a video on each ruler and decide which one works best for you, they all are great, just a tad different.