Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone use porcelain doll heads? >

anyone use porcelain doll heads?

anyone use porcelain doll heads?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Default anyone use porcelain doll heads?

I've acquired a box of porcelain doll heads/hands. How do you attach doll heads to the body? Are there any other things to do with the doll heads? I tried to Google "doll making with porcelain heads" and all I found are places to buy the heads.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 PM

You make a stuffed doll out of fabric with a casing where the doll parts go and some glue as well. I made one when I was 12 and that's all I remember
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

​Do the heads and hands have a hole in them at the base? If so, you make a muslin body and sew the porcelain pieces into place.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 AM

If all else fails you attach arm and legs with rubber bands and the head too, that is for smaller dolls. Miachels have bodies you stuff however I usually make my own bodies out of Muslin
Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

see if you can find any books at your local library or look for info online on how to do this. good luck!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure the correct search term. I looked yesterday using several words and all I got were places to buy the doll heads. The heads I have don't have holes to sew.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 AM

Could you post a picture of the head and hands and I might be able to help you. I used to make porcelain dolls. Are all the heads and hands the same and are they painted.....meaning does the heads have painted on eyebrows and blush.....are the eyes closed?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM

My camera is out for awhile, I found the heads on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Porcel...pr_product_top I have a handful of multiple sizes, 38mm, 41 mm, and 83mm. I was thinking of using them to make dolls for the Christmas Bazaar this year.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 AM

I made the porcelain sample dolls for National Artcraft. Can you post pictures of what heads/hands you have?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 AM

I used to make dolls many years ago. Most of the porcelain parts I used had a small groove where it was supposed to attach to the body. I ran a piece of heavy twine through the body casing, pulled it tight, & tied it off, then closed the opening in the casing with hand stitches. As far as making the body, there are many different ways to do that - the simplest is called a "frog" body (google it) but you can do the math as far as proportions & make a more realistic body. I always enjoyed making them, but really preferred making the completely cloth dolls with embroidered features - a touch of nostalgia I guess. My favorite was a life size 3 year old boy, red hair, freckles, dressed in overalls, plaid shirt, & sneakers. I made him for my first grandson whom I had never seen - he was born in Hawaii - I carried him with me on a plane there when I went for his first birthday. He is 32 now, & says his mother still has "Hiram" packed away, although the last time I saw him he was sadly in need of some tlc