Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help !! >

Help !!

Help !!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM

Unhappy Help !!

My iron died. I have been looking at irons online. OH MY ! There are so many styles. I am going to the "big" city tomorrow. Do any of you have a suggestion?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM

I have seen a lot of threads on irons. Here's what I learned, the cheaper irons get the most votes, Rowenta irons have water leakage issues, look at what the auto shut time is because that get annoying if its too short. I'm no help on brand at the moment because we're stationed in Germany and I have a 220volt. I wouldn't pay over 20.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 AM

I get mine at walmart 20$ or 25. They all leak at some time. I tell people who sell these expensive irons "I'll tell the iron when I want it to shut off. LOL
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I had a rowenta iron. It leaked and went out. I now use a balck and decker. I won't buy any more expensive irons. When mine goes out I will buy a cheap dry iron. I don't use steam, just a spray bottle if I need water.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 AM

I go for the cheaper irons too. Black and Decker. I do have one iron that never gets filled so that it never leaks. Or as I learned, any iron with water in it can be incontinent.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 AM

I had a Rowenta for over 15 plus years before the leaking issue. I felt I got my money out of it. I like a shark iron but one did have a leak. Shark has a goofy way of turning it on, so if you take it to share with quilters, you have to do a tutorial with them when they go to use it. I would only buy another Rowenta if Costco carried them again and I could get it as a good price. I would like to get a portable small Rowenta and have my eye on one in Joanns, but am waiting for a sale. When my Rowenta died, I just picked up whatever Costco was selling at the time, I think it is a Sunbeam, I have my Shark as my travel iron right now as it is lighter, but I perfer the Shark over the Sunbeam. I picked up several Sharks as gifts in Costco, but they don't always carry them.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Got mine from Big Lots for under 20; Black n Decker or Sunbeam. I've also had the shark. I won't spend over that for one. I like the concept of the Olisimo (the one that auto raises itself), fons n poter and Nancy Z uses it but it's a lot of money to put out if it doesn't last.

I love using steam and have never had an issue with these leaking. I had one that was a little on the small side with ridges along the tip. That was a pain because when pressing small pieces it'd catch the fabric. I gave that one to my daughter. I do love the on-off feature and the auto off if it tips; especially with animals and kids in the house. I did find one that the on-off feature was a little longer than my shark so I like that. There are some you can turn the auto off feature off but I like leaving it on for safty plus I keep it plugged into a surge protector and just cut that off when I'm done.

Last edited by romanojg; 06-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought an iron, the DeLonghi, that has it's own resevoir. There is no water in the iron itself. I love it. It is so lightweight and no leakage. I push a button when I want steam and I get lots of steam. It's the best iron I ever had. It cost over $120, but I'll never have to buy another. I have four irons and it's the only one I use. I fill the reservoir and it lasts for days. I can use it as a dry iron or a steamer. I think it's wonderful. I have a dry iron, a Reliable Velocity, and an Oliso. The DeLonghi with the reservoir is by far the best iron I've ever had and I've had many. It's worth the money!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I get mine at walmart 20$ or 25. They all leak at some time. I tell people who sell these expensive irons "I'll tell the iron when I want it to shut off. LOL
lol,me too cheaper is better then if it dies in a year or two you are not upset about spending a ton of money.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM

I have a Shark iron and I LOVE it!!!