Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need advise on Ice Cream Maker >

Need advise on Ice Cream Maker

Need advise on Ice Cream Maker

Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 PM

Default Need advise on Ice Cream Maker

I need some opinions on purchasing an ice cream maker. I never had any desire for one until now. Are they worth it? Do you use yours alot? Is it just easier to go to Dairy Queen? How much does one make? Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 AM

We have one and used it about 2 times. Much easier to buy ice cream. You have to buy cream when you use it so you just can't make it up on the spur of the moment. I do want to try some sorbets since they would be healthier then ice cream but I don't see the point of making ice cream in it. Can't say it was better then store bought.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM

We use ours all the time. I grew up on homemade ice cream. I'm pretty sure my Dad is some kind of an addict. We have made many, many flavors over the years. To me, homemade is MUCH better than store bought, but of course, that's a matter of taste.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 AM

I agree that homemade ice cream is MUCH better than store bought.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM

I have used a hand crank ice cream machine---LOTS of work. Then I got an electric ice cream machine, that you put the ice and salt on the outside. Then I got a little Rival ice cream machine where you put the inside in the deep freeze and when you are ready to make your ice cream, you put in the mix (smaller quantity than the old fashioned kind) Put in the paddles and top and plug it in. When the motor starts stalling you stop, it's done. Take it out and enjoy or put in the freezer in a freezer container. I just keep the bowl for the freezer in the freezer (chest kind) so when I do feel like it is almost done.

I really recommend ice cream makers for young kids. They love making ice cream. There is a science experience in action. You can also make a little homemade kind with an old fashioned coffee can, and another smaller can that fits well inside (close to the same height but much narrower) add ice and salt and have the kids kick the can around until done.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Oh, I am not recommending the Rival, I got it awhile ago on a super discount. There are others that are similar.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 AM

We enjoy our small Cuisinart countertop ice cream maker. But it only makes about a quart at a time. It has two containers that you keep in the freezer that works like an ice pack. So you don't have to mess with ice, salt, water, etc. like you do with the older type freezers. It comes with lots of recipes for ice cream, frozen yogurt, etc. If you dump in a can of soda you have a slushy in about 10 minutes.

I have wonderful memories of the old crank-type freezer that my parents and grand-parents had. Growing up on a dairy farm with lots of milk, homemade ice cream was a regular summer treat for family gatherings. Taking turns turning the crank on the freezer was always a family affair and the creamy freshness of that homemade treat with a freshly baked cake or pie or even just sprinkled with crunchy Cheerios was such a great family time.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 AM

For Father's Day 6 yrs. ago we bought my husband a 6 qt.(also come in 4 qt.)electric White Mountain Ice Cream freezer and we love it. It makes the creamiest ice cream because the beaters run at a faster speed than most of the other less expensive brands. My husband was employed making ice cream when we got married, so he is very picky about his ice cream and he sure does love this maker, often suggests making it for family get together. There are many recipes that come with it, but we prefer starting with "Junket Ice Cream Mix", a product found in the pudding isle at the local grocery store and adding whipping cream and milk. Many great family times have been enjoyed around this freezer.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 AM

I bought one several years ago and never used it. It sat in my freezer for about 3 years and I finally gave it to my GD. I wonder if she has used it yet? LOL
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM

I haven't made ice cream for several years, but used to use my ice cream freezer all the time when the kids were little. They still talk about the fun times they had when we made ice cream.