Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a good quilting machine suggestions? >

Looking for a good quilting machine suggestions?

Looking for a good quilting machine suggestions?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Looking for a good quilting machine suggestions?

I have a brother, that I love, but the throat is so small. Since I started quilting on a friends long-arm and have moved so can not use a long arm, I am scarrrrrreddddddddd to free motion quilt. Any suggestions on a good beginning machine, that won't cost a ton, maybe even where to find a used one.?
THanks
Tracy
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE my Voyager 17/Hinterberg stretch frame setup. Voyagers are no longer being made, but you can still purchase refurbished ones from http://www.hinterberg.com . I don't know about shipping, but they advertise the Voyager/Hinty setup I have (but including SLR) for $4,000:
http://www.hinterberg.com/prod-Voyag...ckage-487.aspx

There is another place online where you can purchase a similar package, and they sometimes run 15% specials, free shipping, etc., so I believe you could get this setup for somewhat less that way, but you have to call:
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/vo...ng-machine.php
(Ask about the "brand new". I don't think a Voyager can be "brand new".)

I purchased mine from another quilt guild member who laid out a "for sale" page on the entry table to a guild meeting. I bought mine (without SLR) for $3,000. Another QB member found one on the House of Hanson website and purchase the used setup (with SLR) several months ago for about $2,400. Here are two websites where you can keep a lookout for a Voyager/Hinty set:
http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html
http://www.longarmuniversity.com/machines_for_sale.htm

You can also join the HinterbergQuilters group at groups.yahoo.com . Some of the owners advertise their setups for sale there when they want to upgrade.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM

Craig's list, gumtree, preloved and eBay. I would go to your local dealer of any machines. They will have trade in when people are upgrading a machine.
A local dealer will service your machine if he is willing to do this you will have a good machine. Some dealers also sell ex demo models again only been on show or used at a class.
From what I can remember a larger throat usually means more money. The cheapest I can think of is a juki but the wide throat only goes backwards and forwards. No idea of cost in other countries.
My very first machine was a brother qe400 machine.

There are people on this site who use vintage machines with beautiful results look at vintage pages.

The throat sizes must say are expensive but quilt as you go isn't. It is only near the very end that have a large quilt to put together and all quilting is done before you join join sections.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 AM

If you are looking for a regular machine to quilt on, the Juki TL2010 is a great machine! It's got a large throat area. I love mine. It worked perfect right out of the box. I have not touched the tension even once! It's only straight stitch, so I generally only use it for piecing/quilting. Sometimes I sew general stuff on it, but I don't do much of that anyway. I primarily quilt. So far, the largest I have tried is 60x80 or so. I could handle larger if I prepare my area with an extra table for support. I paid about $1000 for mine.

Some people use the Juki on a frame. I don't have the space for that, so I got myself a Gidget 2 table.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

i agree that the Juki is a terrific machine... i use mine on a hinty frame. but i've been looking at the Bailey's... they are nicely priced and the owner, Chuck, is a peach.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 AM

I use a Juki too and love this machine. It's fast, powerful and doesn't fuss about thread. It just sews! I have had no trouble quilting a King sized quilt on it and it FM quilts nicely. The walking foot is heavier than other machines and works well too for SITD quilting. I just pull up a small table to my cabinet to support the extra weight of the quilt and stitch away.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I too have a Juki I use for quilting. Make a beautiful stitch. I have also quilted on my Babylock Jane, it too does a great job. I mostly piece on the Jane. My Daughter has the Brother 1500 and she pieces and quilts on it, it is great also. Neither of us have room for a frame. We both quilt large quilts without problems.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Brother 1500s. Large throat. Can be used with a frame. Can be used for FMQ. Inexpensive workhorse of a machine.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 AM

I know prices are different in different areas, but what price do you expect a good quilting machine to run? I'm thrilled to have just gotten a new Singer regular sewing machine earlier this year and the $200 I spent was a big expense to me. :/
Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM

I love my Elna 7100 I got new from a dealer on ebay..it cost about $650 and is the same as the Janome (1500--1600? I forget) Of course it was made by Janome. It only sews forward/reverse..has thread cutter and up/down needle. No zz or fancy stitches--just big harp for quilting.