Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are your dogs itching and scratching? >

Are your dogs itching and scratching?

Are your dogs itching and scratching?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Default Are your dogs itching and scratching?

Any help would be appreciated on this one - my dogs and my sister's dog are intching and scratching miserably. No change of food, nothing is different - we bath them, they have their flea/tick meds, but it is driving the poor guys batty! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Maybe their skin is dry? Do they have doggy hair conditioner? Maybe a little tea tree oil mixed into their next shampoo would help.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Not my dog. During the winter especially a couple of my cats do alot of itching. I think the dry heat causes it. A/C doesn't seem to cause it.
Dogs should only be bathed every 6 weeks to two months. Try oatmeal dog shampoo. Never use human shampoo on dogs.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 AM

My little dog has been itching like a fiend. Drives us both crazy. I just bought some dog shampoo on Amazon called Malaseb and I've used it once. It *seems* like she's been itching a little less. It's expensive but I was desperate!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM

Maybe it's allergies. One dog we had that had to live outside was allergic to everything green and growing. If she did not have a bladder problem she could have been a housedog. We gave her the smallest dosage possible of benedril. One pill a day - that's what our Vet told us to do. Otherwise never give human medicine to an animal.

Your best bet would be to take them to the Vet for an exam and find out exactly what is wrong. It might be something they got into. Do your pets visit each other?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 AM

We used this Sentry Hot Spot Skin Remedy when Bella, our Mama dog, had itchy skin. It can be bought over the counter at Wal Mart or any pet shop.
Where we live we don't have a flea problem, dry skin is an issue due to the climate here.

http://www.cesarsway.com/skin-care-a.../Hot-Spots-FAQ
Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM

My dog does this. She has allergies. She just developed the allergies last year. I just took her to the vet last week and got her steroid shot. It usually last the summer and will have to get another one in the Fall. Winter and Spring don't usually bother her.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 AM

we treat the yard for fleas and ticks, and other insects, as well. Our dog is a wire fox terrier, and he has an under coat, and the little mosquitos, get into that, on his legs and bite them. I think treating the yard is most important, and there is suppose to be alot more fleas this year. I also am keeping his fur alot shorter in summers because of it. I use the gentle shampoo on him, the tear free, and sometimes use a flea and tick shampoo, Adams brand, which is good, but probably is harsh as well. He does have allergies, so I don't use a conditioner much. No perfumes or sprays that have an odor.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 AM

And while you may not have changed their food, their food may have changed! Discovered that issue ourselves several months ago. Suddenly dogs started shedding horribly, scratching, etc. No bugs, no other problems. Packaging had changed on the food. And, although everyone told us the food had not changed - just the packaging - when we changed food, the problem went away. I hate it when manufacturers do things like that. With any products or them or us.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:47 AM

I bet it's dry skin mine had the same problem and I started putting one tablespoon of vegetable oil on their dog food. I not only helps their skin it makes their coat shinny. if it's a small dog use one teaspoon.