Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to group. My latest project.. >

New to group. My latest project..

New to group. My latest project..

Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Default New to group. My latest project..

Howdy all! I am new to the group. I want to be a quilter so I have been watching lots of YouTube videos and even signed up for some Craftsy classes. I feel like I sew a bit and watch a video... Sew. Watch video. :-) My grandson will be a year next month and I decided to make him a dinosaur quilt. I bought a panel with cute fabric and thought it would be my background. Wrong! When I got the top pieced I decided it was on the small side so I cut into the panel... It's the border on this quilt. I guess my Plan B is to do denim on the back... My plan is to machine quilt it.

Any suggestions for pinning the top, batting and back together to prevent wrinkles?
Thanks in advance...
Kandy from Kansas.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

nicely done and welcome to the QB. start by laying out the backing and tape it or clamp it to the surface or table. then lay the batting and smooth it out. i tape this, too. then lay the top. again, i tape this. then pin all over about a hand's worth apart. there will be many other ways explained soon, i'm sure.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 AM

This is the way I do it. Make sure the backing is face down...ask me how I know that!! Nice quilt, your grandson will love it, and welcome to the group.

Dina
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the group! There are many ways to prepare for quilting. Everyone has their favorite. There are also video on YouTube. You can go there and see what will work best for you. Some stitch, spray and pin baste. You will be consumed by this board. This is like an encyclopedia of quilting.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Your GS will love it. It's really cute.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Very nice quilt. I'm sure GS will love it.

Darren
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Welcome to the group. This is how I got started - making a quilt for my first grandson. I have grown in my passion for quilting and find in retirement it is what gives me an opportunity to be creative and a way to show someone I care as most of my quilts are gifts.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 AM

I use Elmers Glue to sandwich the layers, be sure it is the washable kind. There are some good how-to tuts on this site. I used to hand baste the layers but found the glue method cut my time by at least half and the results were as good or better.
Welcome to the Board. Love your guilt, the greatest thing new quilters bring is their fresh perspective. Love the creativity in your quilt! Had to laugh about your change in plans, seems to me quilts take on a life of there own and start bossing you around.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Look up "Elmer's School glue" in the box with the magnifing glass on the top right of each page. There has been a huge movement toward using the glue because it allows mistakes to be corrected easily (a damp cloth will disolve the glue if you get a wrinkle and you can redo the area so it is perfect). It is non-toxic, inexpensive, easy to lay down a THIN dribble (but not a tragedy if a blob happens), sews easily (must be washed after the quilt is done to disolve the glue), AND it is the easiest way to sandwich a quilt. Some of us also put the batting into the dryer to soften it before using because it takes out any wrinkles or stiffness and makes it easier to work. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM

That's such a cute little boy's quilt! Nicely done!