Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
printing on fabric >

printing on fabric

printing on fabric

Old 07-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Default printing on fabric

I want to make a memory quilt by printing family photos onto fabric squares. Is there a particular printer that is better and what is best fabric. Should I have laser or ink jet printer or is there a special machine for fabric. I think they may be sell the printable fabric sheets at our local fabric store. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim
Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM

Look on the package, I believe it will tell you what kind of printer you need. I don't think you can use a laser printer because that sets the ink with heat. Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM

There are some fabrics that work with laser printers and others that work with ink jet printers. For some, you print directly on the fabric, others are ink transfers.

There are differences in the brands of fabric, too. I bought one that said "full directions inside" and the directions inside said the the fabric couldn't be washed -- what is the point of printing on fabric which can't be washed? This unwashable fabric was something like "Jacquard" brand. There was a review of fabrics for printing about 5 years ago. I think June Tailor was one brand that performed well. I haven't had enough experience with washing fabrics after printing on them to recommend a brand. So, at least be sure it gives the directions on the outside of the package, or ask to see the inside of the package before buying.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Reb

I used printed treasures. This web address has a great article that should help with your which printer question. I used an HP inkjet but that was probably 5 years ago. Hope your project turns out great! http://quiltbug.com/articles/photos.htm