Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with photo quilt/procrastination >

Help with photo quilt/procrastination

Help with photo quilt/procrastination

Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Help with photo quilt/procrastination

Well my issues with procrastination are catching up with me. My daughter gets married on September 7th and I am going to be making her a photo quilt. Have the fabric, backing, batting but guess what I still need, all the pictures. I am going to be using the photo fabric sheets by June Tailor. I have all of the sheets that I need (plus extras) My plan was to cut my blocks 8.5 x 8.5 so that I didn't have to worry about adding any extra fabric around the photo sheets.

My dilemma is that some of the pictures that I have are more wide than tall. After cropping and re-sizing to the correct size to print it is making the pictures look distorted or squishy. Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix the photos so that they will print out better?

I am definitely learning my lesson to not put things off :-(

Mindy
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 PM

What program are you using to do the sizing and cripping? If you use the right program they shouldn't look distorted or squishy. Photoshop (expensive) or Photoshop Elements (not as expensive) should both do the trick. There is also Gimp, a free program to download or I think there is an online one. I'll have to check on that one.

Yep, here it is: http://pixlr.com/

It will be difficult to make the pictures that are wider than tall come out square. Might need some creativity with that part.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM

I've used www.picasa.com with good results. It's a free download.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM

I am using a free program called Irfanview. I will take a look at the others that have been suggested. I could kick myself for not getting started on this sooner.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM

When you "crop" or "resize" photos do NOT drag from the top, bottom or sides of the picture. Always grab a corner and resize by dragging the corner inward. This will not distort your photos. Only "crop" if there is a lot of background you want to eliminate.

Don't feel bad about procrastinating! I am finally finishing my own wedding quilt that I started almost 10 years ago. The central block was the one I couldn't decide on so I put it away and forgot about it. Now I am trying to finish it for our 10th anniversary in mid-October.