Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
monofilament thread >

monofilament thread

monofilament thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Default monofilament thread

Some people love it, some people despise it. Are there different types? Do you use regular thread in the bobbin? Is tension an issue? I have a quilt that is going to have black flannel on the back, but the front is dark grey, light grey, some black, yellow and orange. Any help/suggestions that anyone could make would be greatly appreciated!!

Michelle
Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 PM

I love monofilament thread. I use regular in the bobbin and seam to have to lower my upper tension settings, but other than that no problems.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I like using monofilament thread- that is what I used on the oriental quilt I just finished- since the top was ivory, black & deep pink and the back is a natural muslin- I used the invisible thread on top and a cream cotton in the bobbin. size 14 (long arm) needle and loosened the top tension just a tad- worked beautifully- since I was all loaded up with that combination when a customer brought over a new t-shirt quilt to have quilted - with multi colors on the top and a creamy flannel for the back I went ahead & used the same (although with a new needle) worked great on that one too- I was concerned since the t-shirt quilt is so much heavier-with the t-shirts, interfacing, batting and flannel back- but it worked just fine-no additional adjustments were necessary.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM

I use LOTs of it. Yes there are some differences. First is the color it comes in clear and smoke. Use the smoke on dark colors it will reflect less light and be more "invisible". It comes in two types of material content. Nylon and polyester. The poly holds up better to heat. Superior threads sells a high heat monofilament.
Sometimes I have issues with the static build up and the thread wants to wrap around the spindle in my cone holder, once I figure out to put another spool under it to elevate the monofilament thread high enough so it can wrap , I stopped having that problem.
I do use regular bobbin thread most of the time , but can use it in the bobbin, just go slowly when winding, or you can stretch the thread just a bit.. and that will cause problems later in stitching.
I also use a smaller needle 70/10 as the thread is very fine and does not need a larger needle.
Not all manufactures thread will have the same tension requirements.. so test on sample fabrics , before working on your project.
Only under rare occasions will I use it for piecing, as the thread when piecing ( if tensions are correct) , should not show.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 PM

I love MonoPoly by superior threads, I found it the easiest to use, and regular thread in the bobbin.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM

I really enjoy using monofilament thread. I use Aurifil's (nylon) in clear and in smoke depending on the colors in my quilt. In the bobbin, I use an Aurifil thread in a color that matches my backing. My machine has self adjusting tension so I've never had to adjust the tension. My biggest problem is seeing the thread when I thread the needle by hand.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Don't get discouraged. Sometimes you have to sweet talk your machine into cooperating. If you try it and have problems, put the spool in a small jar like baby food size. Put the jar to the right of your machine on the table your machine is sitting on. Scotch tape a safety pin round side up on the side of your machine. Run the thread thru that little hole in the safety pin then into your normal thread path. I have to put finger gauze on the spool of monofilament so it does not unwind by itself. Can also use thread netting.

if you have trouble, go to the library and look for Harriet Hargraves' Heirloom Machine Quilting book. She has an entire chapter on tips for using monofilament.

I either use it in the bobbin or as the top thread, never both at the same time.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM

I use Superior Mono Poly in the bobbin as well as on top and it quilts beautifully on my HQ16. Don't overfill your bobbins as the invisible thread tends to swell after filling and will pop the sides off plastic bobbins. May cause metal bobbin to warp out of shape on sides. I use my TOWA guage to set the bobbin tension as I change threads with every quilt.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by OzarksGma View Post
I use Superior Mono Poly in the bobbin as well as on top and it quilts beautifully on my HQ16. Don't overfill your bobbins as the invisible thread tends to swell after filling and will pop the sides off plastic bobbins. May cause metal bobbin to warp out of shape on sides. I use my TOWA guage to set the bobbin tension as I change threads with every quilt.
Superior now sells pre wound MonoPoly bobbins.