Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to charge for pieciing a top. >

What to charge for pieciing a top.

What to charge for pieciing a top.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Default What to charge for pieciing a top.

How do you determine how much to charge for piecing a quilt top? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

You can charge whatever you want. The other person may or not be willing to pay, but you don't have to accept the job if you aren't happy with the price. It's best if you can estimate how long the piecing will take you, so you have a good idea of how big a chunk of your life it will take up. It could be that you are happy to do it and accept very little per hour, or that you really don't want to do it unless you get a LOT per hour. Either way, it's your decision.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM

I never know what to charge! People ususally want to pay 39.99 cause thats what they pay at Walmart!!! Thats why I finaly decided not to charge, if I want to make you one fine but One Its takes a lot of time and work to make it! Then if theres a mistake or don't want someone nit picking my wrk! Good luck!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

​It would depend on the pattern. A 9 Patch you could whip out in a day. A heart Bargello could take weeks. It also could depend on the fabric. A top pieced from cotton fabric is easier than a T-shirt quilt or a memory quilt from old clothes.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 AM

It's a hard call. As Painiacs writes, people don't seem to be able to tell the difference between "handmade" and what they can find at Walmart. Frankly, I would say you are at least worth the minimum wage you can earn slinging hamburgers, it would seem no one could argue with that price.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Gay

Saw somewhere on the internet where a quilter charges up to $240 per sq ft, depending on the techniques used,this includes quilting. Not sure if that included the fabrics & wadding or not, but she seemed to get orders for her work. I don't know what wages are like in the US, but I figured that would be roughly a shop assistants pay, and why not. One lady refused to pay me extra after quilting, for hand sewing the binding on, because I sat in front of the tv at night to do it, which she normally did when binding - so I wasn't working? It took me 8 hours over 2 nights. So be careful of what you commit yourself to do.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

are you supplying the fabric? what about the patterns? your costs need to be included- is it simple patchwork you can 'whip up' in an afternoon? is it hand appliqued and may take weeks/months? you need to determine how much $$ you will have in it, then figure and estimate of time involved- then decide what your time is worth...and who it is for. I may charge a friend/family member just barely over what I have into making a quilt- for a stranger-commission job I charge a minimum of $20 an hour + materials...maybe more depending on the pattern- techniques, job involved- you did not really give us any idea what *kind* of quilt top you are talking about, or size---so, I would venture a guess of...between $45 & $500 depending on the project
Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 AM

Agree with Tartan it would depend on the pattern for me. A YBR can be whipped up in a day or two if a bigger one and others could take months.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 AM

If you really want to do this, take the "customer" along and have them pick and pay for the fabric, thread or whatever else is needed. That will be a shocker. Then set your price, remember you are using your electricity, new needles and thread.
I didn't knit at the time so I asked a neighbor to knit a sweater for me and she said "sure, the price is $300.00." I about fell over, and she said 'I really don't want to do it, but if you pay my price I will." No sweater for me.