Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curtains in your sewing room >

Curtains in your sewing room

Curtains in your sewing room

Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Its really fun to peak into everyones sewing space. I only have one fairly large window in my sewing room. I found soft lightweight fabric in a BOLD floral of red, bright pink, bright yellow and white. They are floor to almost ceiling, hung on large rings. They can be pulled back so they don't keep out any of the light. They are more for that splash of color than for anything else.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM

I made tab-top valances in a pale yellow print (lined with white material from an old sheet). The fabric blends with the pale yellow walls. I have two windows and each has a shade because it's also my guest bedroom. Since I wanted all the light I could get, I hung the rod halfway between the top of the window and the ceiling, where it looked fine . I'm really pleased with them. Especially the price--it was an end of bolt at Joann's and was EXACTLY the amount I needed--and got it all for $6. Can't beat custom tab-top valances for that.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
May I please ask what brand of weatherproof lining you used?

I would also like to make
"quilt-themed" Roman shades.

Meanwhile, no curtains in the sewing room: I have allergies.

Now if I was really rich, I'd redo every window in the house with the kind of windows our house in Austria had: double panes with blinds on the inside of the window.

Sealed inside, the blinds never need cleaning!

And, no need for curtains!
I don't remember the brand of weather proof lining I used, but I got it at Joann Fabrics with my coupon. There is more than one kind so I bought the heavier weight to protect against the cold in the winter and heat in the summer. Good luck on making your own Roman shades!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 AM

I have no curtains - in any room of the house. We live in the country and our house overlooks the river and mountains, so I have rooms with fantastic views so I don't want to obscure it. That's one of the main reasons we bought our house. Ig I lived in the city or a neighborhood, that might be a different story...
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 AM

I have a valance at my window. The light can come in anytime of day. I like light.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 AM

Mini blinds and a valance. The valance is made with a floral print that colorful and bright.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Two windows on the south west side with roll up blinds and the windows on the north east and south side have nothing.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 AM

I have blinds only as well. They let in lots of light and are easier to keep clean!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 AM

I have mini blinds but I made a valance. Does not block the light. Made it a long tube style (about 3 X the width of the window. Turned it, then did a stitch 1 inch from the top then did another stitch line 2" down from that one for the rod. Put it on the rod then stuffed with clean wadded up plastic shopping bags - figured it was a good way to recycle and it's very light so does not drag down the valence buts adds nice puff to it.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
I'm trying to decide what curtains to put in my quilting room when the painting is done. Do most of you just hang regular curtains or do you make them something quilt or sewing related? I'd love to see pics too

Becky
Unfortunately the window in my sewing room is very small so I took down the curtains to give more light.I think too that they would gather dust . Love Letty