Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Meet Mary Lou, my Red Eye Singer >

Meet Mary Lou, my Red Eye Singer

Meet Mary Lou, my Red Eye Singer

Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Meet Mary Lou, my Red Eye Singer

Ever since I laid eyes on a Red Eye, I have wanted to buy one. Most of them seem to be in treadle form and I didn't want another treadle. Last week I found one on CL and was able to buy it. The bottom of the case was in about 8 pieces so DH glued it well. There are no extra parts but I have plenty from other machines. The machine looks beautiful but there is some rust in the bobbin area. I don't know much about these machines but mine is electric with a foot pedal. It works well though I have not been able to clean it or sew with it yet. I bought it from a sweet woman whose name was Mary Lou and I named the machine after her even though she bought it from a friend whose mother owned it. It sat in the garage for years and years and I guess that is where the rust came from. Any info on how to take it apart and clean that rust off is greatly appreciated. She cost me $40.00 and in this area, she was a deal for sure. My inspector said she's OK.
Attached Thumbnails red-eye-singer92013-011.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Enjoy, I have a "redeye" electric also...1923...It is my best machine for piecing. Runs great...you will love having it and using it. Will make you smile every time you look at it. Great bargain. You can get rust and chrome cleaner at most hardware stores.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 PM

I love your Mary Lou Red Eye! My DMIL had one but gave it to a GD who can't sew who asked me if I wanted it but I didn't have the heart to take it since DMIL has passed and she wanted her to have it. It's not nearly as lovely as yours however... The ladies who owned it before you may not have sewed much because the decals and finish are beautiful!! Enjoy many years of piecing on it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

She is beautiful!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM

A red eye was my first vintage sewing machine purchase. Mine is also "electrified" and is dated 1919. Your decals and surface areas look great! My ole gal has bright intact decals and minimal wear on her surfaces.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

Nice decals. I haven't seen many 66s that couldn't be made to run one way or another.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 AM

She is a beauty, congrats!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 AM

Those decals look unbelievably brand new! How pretty.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM

I have three red eyes, all treadle machines.

Cleaning the bobbin area is fairly easy. You start by removing the needle plate and slide plate and cleaning out everything underneath.
Removing the bobbin case requires lifting and moving the end tab of the bobbin case retainer, or unscrewing and removing it. Depends on which version you have.

IF you have the version with the lift and rotate tab, DO NOT UNSCREW the screw that holds the spring parts on. Those have a specification for the thread to pass around the bobbin case. Throw that out and you can mess up the thread path.

This is detailed in the owners manuals for each type.

Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 AM

it is pretty and kitty is loving it too gotta love em they inspect everything that comes in the house