Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative >

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Old 09-07-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

I looked at the categories and didn't know where to place this post. AAQI is nearly $1million raised for Alzheimer's research by selling donated quilts which are no bigger than 9" x 12". This all volunteer group is wrapping up it's existence and currently has one of it's last online auctions. This is a great opportunity to buy some of the most beautiful small quilts ever made. You can also buy quilts on their website and at the IQA Festival in Houston, AAQI will have their last ever booth and this will be the last chance to buy the little quilts. Please look at their website for the entire story of this amazing organization. Nearly every penny goes to Alzheimer's research. www.alzquilts.org

If you are going to Houston, stop by the AAQI booth Wed. - Fri. & say Hey Jude. Odds are, I'll be there.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the link, You all do great work for a good cause.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM

I loved looking at all the huge variety of little quilts in your booth a couple of years ago. I guess all good things must come to an end, but it was a great concept and it will be missed. Thanks for all your work for this important cause!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

Do you know why this is the last year for the project?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Ami Simms, founder, describes the reasons clearly on the web site. Search for Alz quilts, not AAQI and look for the message from Ami. Basically, the volunteers who have been doing all the work agreed that the group's goal--$1 million dollars for Alzheimer's Research, given to reviewed and carefully selected researchers, has been met. Over 15,000 priority quilts have been donated--they're called priority because they fit well in the 9 x 12 priority USPS mailing envelopes.

mlg

Last edited by puzzler; 09-09-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-16-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by puzzler View Post
Ami Simms, founder, describes the reasons clearly on the web site. Search for Alz quilts, not AAQI and look for the message from Ami. Basically, the volunteers who have been doing all the work agreed that the group's goal--$1 million dollars for Alzheimer's Research, given to reviewed and carefully selected researchers, has been met. Over 15,000 priority quilts have been donated--they're called priority because they fit well in the 9 x 12 priority USPS mailing envelopes.

mlg
Couldn't have said it better! These are wonderful kind people who are frequently dealing with family members afflicted with Alzheimer's or other dementias. Please read about AAQI on their website and on Facebook. There is a Celebrity Auction coming up in Oct. which will have slightly larger quilts by some of the best known quilters in the world. These quilts can be seen at Houston, also. Hope to see you all there. I have only 2 quilts left on the AAQI website #15,149 -Don and 15,352 - Fast Grey Matter. I'm making a few postcards for the animal rescue fundraiser at IQA Festival Houston, too.