Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about quilting and color of thread >

question about quilting and color of thread

question about quilting and color of thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 AM

Default question about quilting and color of thread

HI everyone,

I was wondering about thread and how closely it matches when you are quilting. I have seen verigated thread on some quilts, which I just love. I am working on a baby quilt that is just squares made from scraps of flannel. I did the border in white flannel, and I am trying to decide if I should quilt in white, or if a color would work? I am thinking of selling it at either a farmers market or on etsy.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 AM

You can use variegated thread but remember any color thread will stand out on the white border. I usually either match the thread to the quilt or use an ivory thread.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM

I think it depends if you want the quilting to be used to help decorate the quilt or only to secure the batting. I usually use invisible thread when I do SID and thread that matches the backing on the bobbin. When I do FMQ I use a complimentry thread on the top and usually a matching thread fon the bobbin. complimentry meanng one that will go with the quilt top. That can mean contrasting or blending thread.I usually picl a thread that is the main color of the quilt top. I think verigated thread will probably look nice on a white.border. Aslo you can use more than one color thread. Verigated in the border and other plain color in the main part of the quilt.