Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock Crescendo vs. Aria >

Baby Lock Crescendo vs. Aria

Baby Lock Crescendo vs. Aria

Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Default Baby Lock Crescendo vs. Aria

OK I've finally demonstrated that my quilting bug isn't going to go away, and I'm going to upgrade my machine from a $200 Brother to something pretty nice. Now I've been eyeing a Bernina for a long time but it's really out of my price range at this time, so instead I'm trying to decide on a Baby Lock.

Does anyone out there own a Baby Lock Crescendo? I'd really have to scrape together the money to get this model but I really like the laser and sensor pen features, which I'm told is all this model has over the new Aria (the Aria would be a more comfortable purchase for me). So my question is, do you find those two features useful for quilting? Would the sensor pen help with my thus-far-not-very-good FMQing? I have not seen either of these features demoed yet so I just thought someone out there might be able to give me some insight.

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM

I have the Crescendo, and although have not really had any reason to use the pen, I use the laser guide a lot - all of those half square triangles are a breeze. Neither of these features has anything to do with FMQ, but for straight line quilting, the laser guide is fantastic. If you can, test drive both machines to get a feel if there is any significant difference. The Crescendo is very heavy, solid feeling.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM

I have the Crescendo and use the laser beam all the time. I have used my walking foot to use the serpentine stitch to quilt a couple of wall hangings. The machine is heavy but I do take it classes. I have had my machine since March and so far I have not had any problems.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM

The pen is good for binding, y piecing, decorative stitches and positioning your laser and needle. The Aria does not have the laser or the pen. Also you have to buy the muvit foot separately, so are you saving in the long run. I love the laser and the pen IMHO I would choose the crescendo. Also price the brotherdreamweaver(same machine as crescendo), might be cheaper than the crescendo in your area. The pen is not used for FMQ however they do sell a stitch regulator for the crescendo
Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to report that I got the Crescendo ... or will once my machine arrives at the dealer. Yay! I'm pretty excited though a little disappointed that I didn't get a machine with the stitch regulator, which is the main reason I wanted the Bernina. It's nice, though, that I'll be able to add that on later if I still want to, as I expect I'll have this machine for a long while. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 AM

Glad to hear you are getting it. I had my crescendo just under a year, and recently traded up to the Unity (twin to the Crescendo but with embroidery too). I absolutely LOVED it.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Hi,

Glad to see this post!! I just traded my two year old Babylock Symphony for the Crescendo on Monday!! I have been resisting this upgrade for about a month and I caved after I played around on the Unity at the shop. I loved my Symphony, but wanted the lighting, larger harp, and the pen and laser intrigued me....love gadgets!
I have the Elegante2 for embroidery, so didn't bite on the Unity.
Haven't had too much of a chance to play with it, yet, but know I will love it as much as my Symphony.....if not more!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM

Enjoy your new machine!! Try not to have regrets with what you didn't get. There is always something bigger, better, fancier out there and if we don't stop where we can afford we can get into trouble. Sounds like you got the perfect machine for you!!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 AM

Hello! I know this thread is over 4 years old, but I was hoping I might get a reply from GiddyUpGo anyway. I, too, have the "$200 Brother" and am itching to upgrade to the Babylock Crescendo or Aria. I was wondering how you and everyone else felt about the Crescendo now, 4+ years later? Any comments, advice, etc? I'd appreciate anything y'all have to offer!

Thank you,
Sandy "Better Late than Ever" Long
Old 06-24-2017, 08:39 AM

I've had my crescendo for over 4 years and still love it. Use the laser all the time. Works great for not having to draw lines for HST's and bindings. Don't use the pen yet.