New Puppies-help please

Old 09-16-2013, 03:28 AM
Evy

Default New Puppies-help please

I am well into my 60s and have never had a puppy. All of my dogs have been older rescue dogs. We now have 2 eight week old Chihuahua puppies. Technically, not rescued but we got them from an ad on line, from a guy who got 3 of them from "an old man who couldn't take care of them, but thought maybe they had some shots". When we went to see them, I fell in love. I had to put my Chi down 2 years ago after 9 years and still miss him. I didn't have the heart to break up sisters, someone had already taken the third one or we probably would have all three. We got them last Thursday, Friday they went to the vet for shots and de-flea-ing. They were loaded with fleas. Now what to do with them? They are pretty good at night in fact slept until 4:15 this morning, so no complaints there. We're trying to housebreak them to go outside. Not working well! We live in the country so worry about hawks swooping down on them. I tried putting them on leashes, but they hate them and I think even though we have the lightest leashes we could find, they are just too heavy. Naturally they go in opposite directions when they're free How long does it take to housebreak and suggestions on anything else would be more than welcome. also, what do you do about them crying to be held? Holding is wonderful, I love it, but can't do it the whole time they are awake!
Attached Thumbnails 100_2844.jpg   wp_20130912_002.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 AM

They are cuties! As to leashes...I would suggest a harness-style vs collar for them as they are so small. And probably a small, thin, cloth or rope type leash as opposed to a chain-style leash. You could also get a leash connector thing. Attaches to a single leash at one end and then has two leads for the 2 dogs. Helps control the this way - that way bit. They probably just are not used to collars/leash at this point.

Housebreaking...we've always gone outside with them for the duration until the finally get the message as to what 'outside' is for! Basically after each meal, as soon as they are finished eating, take them out for walks until they have both finished all their potty needs. Give small treats each time to reinforce the 'good girl' message. Any time they start to 'circle' or start looking intently inside, scoop them up and run them outside. Might be easiest to leave the harness on them full time for the moment and the leash available outside so you can get them out the door quickly for those type trips. Complete housebreaking usually takes a few weeks of tremendous diligence.

You've only had them for a few days and it sounds like they've had quite a bit of trauma already in their short lives. Once they get comfortable with you the constant need to be held will abate. Give them a soft, safe place to be when you're not in a position to hold them. Tell them 'good girl' when you put them them. They'll get the message sooner or later.

I'd also recommend a crate for those times when you are not home to help with the housebreaking. Obviously does not need to be large for those tiny girls. We've always given ours a treat when they go in their crates so they know it's a good thing. Soft bedding - just old towels will do. This way, if there are accidents...easy clean up.

I get what you mean about the big birds! When we got out latest dog he was 8 wks and 15 lbs. Certainly much larger than yours but I was still worried about the turkey buzzards swooping down on him. And we had coyotes in the 'way back' at that point as well. Wouldn't let him out of the fenced yard even at that point. He's now 2.5 yrs old and 150 lbs. Not worried about the buzzards with him now!

Just remember that you are dealing with tiny babies. Little tummies; little bladders. They'll sleep alot. Each time they wake up....out the door!

Good luck. You (and they) will get there!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 AM

my chorkie is 9 # and I still worry about big birds....the crate idea is the best. we started her right off sleeping at night in one and she never had an accident. the bit about when they wake up, out the door LOL one thing I noticed too was the nervous pacing, "I have to poop" LOL it just takes time.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Evy

Thanks for the advice. We do have a crate of sorts. It's just one of those plastic cubes from Walmart. By day it's on it's side so they can crawl in and out and by night we put it upright and cover it with my 25" square ruler with a couple weights on top. They do go into it on their own often. The harness is a great idea and I didn't even know they made a leash for two. We have no Pet-Smarts or anything similar here, but I'm sure I can find one on line. The little girls only weigh 1.7 and 1.9 pounds. We also have a lot of coyotes and foxes so they won't ever be outside alone. thanks again.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 AM

Just want to say congratulations on your new family!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

They are so cute!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

yep, I say harness with leash too. as they grow you will have to buy larger ones. my cats (two of them) go outside wearing a harness and leash. puppies chew electrical cords, shoes, etc. YOu will have to baby proof your home as much as possible. and outside too if puppies are left out without you. my neighbor has a puppy and he's a minx! good luck
Attached Thumbnails callie-oct-2012.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM

You might want to look at buying a dog play pen for when they go outside to potty.
This is the type that I am talking about -
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Trex-Premi...217781-3550230
- this is just panels that connect together to make a small fenced in yard.
At 24" tall, you will never have to have anything higher with them being so little.

They will quickly learn that when they are outside in 'their' yard, they are supposed to potty.
When they are older, you can have them out with you in the yard, when they know to come and other commands. Then you will have better control of them. With the fenced in playpen, you won't have to worry so much about the wildlife in the area. We lived on the outskirts of the Great Dismal Swamp, and when we had our French Bulldog, we had to worry about bobcats, bear, hawks and eagles. Even full grown and 17lbs., there was still the dangers to deal with.

You should probably get them a small crate to be their 'den'. Dogs deal with things better when they have a safe place to go to when things (noise, activity, etc.) gets too be too much and they retreat to their bed. If you get a place carrier with the door on it, leave the door open during the day and then tell them to go to bed at night and close the door.

Rest assured, if you start working on a routine with them, they will quickly learn. When I foster pups, they are supervised and go out at least every 2 hours, if not more. You may want to start with newspapers on a tile floor for accidents. But the sooner you set a routine, the better.

Good luck. And know that for every ounce of love, and second of time you invest in them, will be returned 10 fold. Just love them, which I know they will.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Just put up a small fence inside your bigger yard. Don't just put them out, take them out. That way you will be able to protect them if need be. I have been taking my small dogs out for about 18-20 years ( a couple different sets). Praise them when they potty. If you are in the house, you won't know if they pottied or not.
They are absolutely darling.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I love people who are able to train their dogs to use a certain area of yard, rather than the whole yard. makes it much easier to keep it tidy. Good luck!!