Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skipped stitches in one direction only >

Skipped stitches in one direction only

Skipped stitches in one direction only

Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 PM

Default Skipped stitches in one direction only

I am a new Babylock Crown Jewel owner and I'm having problem with skipped stitches and sometimes breaking thread when I move my machine away from me when quilting. Stitches are beautiful when going right to left, left to right and towards me when I am at the front of the machine. I only have problems when moving away from me from belly to take up bar. Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 PM

You probably have the wrong size needle for your thread. What thread are you using and what size needle?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 PM

iIm not a long armer but I heard that machines are meant to go left to right, i took instruction at a long arm training center where I was able to rent a machine by the hour. I used a pantograph so just sewed in rows. When I got to the right side I clipped the thread and went back to the left and started the next row. That was my only experience with long arming. Decided I would continue to quilt by check!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
iIm not a long armer but I heard that machines are meant to go left to right, i took instruction at a long arm training center where I was able to rent a machine by the hour. I used a pantograph so just sewed in rows. When I got to the right side I clipped the thread and went back to the left and started the next row. That was my only experience with long arming. Decided I would continue to quilt by check!
I've heard people say that (longarms only go from left to right) but it's a complete fallacy. Longarms can go in all directions. How else would you be able to finish a quilt? The problem is when people try to go too fast from right to left. The thread attached to the quilt can pull at the needle and cause it to deflect slightly, either causing a missed stitch or broken thread. Slowing down should solve that problem. You don't have that issue going from from left to right because the thread, which runs down the right side of the machine, is not pulling the same way on the needle. At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking with it. Barbmiller, you might have a similar problem in that the needle is being deflected by the pull of the thread. See if a larger needle will help, or slowing down.