Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blue and Yellow 2.5 in strips >

Blue and Yellow 2.5 in strips

Blue and Yellow 2.5 in strips

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Blue and Yellow 2.5 in strips

I had dinner with my great niece tonight and her fiance. She is getting married in April and I asked her if she would like me to make her a quilt or would she prefer me purchase off her registry. She emphatically told me she absolutely wanted a quilt. I made her sister one when she got married last year. I asked her what would be her choice of colors. She said yellow and blue.

I just now saw the Notting Hill quilt pattern that was posted on 9-18 board. I love the pattern. I decided that would be her quilt if I can find enough different fabrics. She is 6 ft tall and her husband to be is probably 6'3" tall. I will probably have to make it longer so they will be covered. I think it would be very pretty to use to use different fabrics across the quilt. One row blue and one row yellow and then white or cream as the background. If any of you have leftover blue or yellow 3" strips from a quilt or scraps that could be cut into 13" long X 3" strips that you would be willing to give up, I would love to take them off your hands. I think the quilt would be pretty to have all different fabrics for the quilt. That would mean I would need about 125 different fabrics with the added length. I think large prints, small prints, solids, stripes or any fabric that would be considered predominantly yellow or blue would work. I will be glad to pay for a reasonable price for the strips or scraps and whatever postage would be. I have a large scrap bin but not a whole lot of blues and only a few yellow scraps. I guess I just don't sew much with blues and yellows. I did make one quilt in these colors so I have some scraps left over from that quilt. I can cut a strip off my yellow fabrics or fat quarters, but I don't think I could come up with enough different fabrics. Please send me a private message if you have anything you would like to sell or donate. As long as the scraps are at least 13" and 3" wide, it would be usable. I think the concept would be really pretty. If it were just one strip or scrap, it could be mailed in a regular envelope. So just let me know how much $ you want if you have any that you can bear to give up. I will also ask your opinion on my thought process. I could just do it in 5-6 different fabrics for each color, but I like the thoughts of using all different fabrics. Do you all think it would work and look alright?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

Is this the pattern you mean? http://freespiritfabric.com/core-pag...php?gal_id=500 My only question is how well the yellow row will contrast with the cream. It could be lovely, but then again the yellow could get lost.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

I think blue and yellow are pretty together in a quilt. My mother made my son and daughter in law a beautiful quilt when they got married. My daughter in law wanted it in blue and yellow. I think with some cream too, but can't remember now. It is so pretty on their bed, and she has her bedroom looking like out of a magazine with all the things she has found to add. She has so many pretty porcelain figurines in blue and white and other items as she would come across them at shops etc. I wish I had a picture.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 AM

I think that it would be very pretty in blues and yellows. I will have to look in my stash to see what I can come up with for you. no $ needed. just a fellow board member wanting to help.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:38 AM

I would be happy to send you some strips. I don't need anything in return, but if you would pay the postage, that would be great. PM your address to me and I'll get them in the mail when I go to town next.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Love the Notting Hill. Printed the pattern and not sure what colors!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 AM

Couldn't get the pattern to down load so missed it. Will check and see if I have any strips that size.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Moda has a set of fabrics called "Summer Breeze" that is pretty yellows and blues. I think they even came up with a Summer Breeze 2 line. It might give you the variety you need.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:07 PM

I recently made 2 blue, yellow and white quilts. The second quilt was made with the leftovers from the first. Both were made as raffle quilts. Have you thought of using white instead of cream? I can send you some leftovers from the leftovers. PM me your address.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 PM

I, too, would like to make this pattern. When I saw it, I liked it. Sure, it would be pretty.