Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oi Vey bad whoopsie >

Oi Vey bad whoopsie

Oi Vey bad whoopsie

Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Oi Vey bad whoopsie

I'm so mad at myself. I did something so dumb to one of my favorite patterns in my winters lane charm pack. I have been doing the simple method for pinwheels. 1/4 seam around the edges and then make two diagonal cuts. Well I got half my matched up stack sewn. Since I didn't feel like changing my bobbin because Lu will be awake soon I figured I would do some cutting.

I grabbed the four top squares stack them up all nice and pretty line up my ruler and slice it up. Then I go to make the second cut and thank heavens only did one square and went OMG NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I cut my squares for a disappearing nine patch not a pinwheel. Son of a monkey did I fudge that up big time. And the worst part they were my favorite darker tan blocks. Arghhhhhhhhhh I'm so mad at myself. Hopefully I can squeeze some pennies and get another charm pack or some yardage of that print. I'm so sad I messed them up. I'm going to get out my ripper and see if there is any way I can salvage those blocks but I don't think I can.

Ugh I guess that shows I need to step away from my cutter and machine right now. Good thing it's Halloween candy time. My house is full of feel better nummys. Lol
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Ugh ... I hate when I make a wrong on limited fabric.

Instead of buying a whole new charm pack, post a pic of the fabric that you need and perhaps someone has it and you can trade for a same size cut of another fabric.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM

Now this is just wierd - I am also working on a quilt using the Winters Lane collection - which is awesome. I'm doing the Swoon pattern that uses fat quarters. Made one little mistake and now must go buy 4" of one of the prints to finish the block. Luckily, a local shop has it, so I'm off at lunchtime to get it. I tend not to buy yardage so that I have extra, but the one time I don't......
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

maybe in the future you can mark you cut or better yet do your HST using this method. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

The advantage to that is you don't end up with bias edges on them. And there are different ways of doing the grid to get more than 8 at a time. You are less likely to make that cutting mistake doing them this way.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM

I have a lqs about half an hour from me but it's an area I never go to. I might just snag a half yard because then id have some extra for myself to pet and stare at lol.

My mistake was completely duh moment. I just finished a disappearing nine patch quilt and when I set up my mat my brain just went I to auto pilot and cut for the dps not a pinwheel.

I've got my print bookmarked so I can get some Friday. I boogered the darker tan with the berry twig things on it.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I hate when I do things like that!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Oh I just hate it when I do things like that! It always seems to happen when I do not have extra fabric.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Oh man, bummer!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM

I have some fabric with berry twig things on it. Maybe the same thing? If so, and you can't get it - post a picture and we'll see if it's the same. If so, I have leftover from a table runner I did that I would be glad to share.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:06 AM

That sound like some thing I would do. Hope you can find it