Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used both Glide and Sigma in their longarm? >

Has anyone used both Glide and Sigma in their longarm?

Has anyone used both Glide and Sigma in their longarm?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Default Has anyone used both Glide and Sigma in their longarm?

I love Glide because it never shreds or breaks in my Voyager, but I'm tempted to try Sigma now that it is on sale. Glide is $6.20 for a 5,000m cone. Sigma is on sale now for $2.75 for a 5,000m cone (http://www.metroemb.com/store/ ). Metro has a flat rate shipping option for about $12, which makes it tempting to order lots of cones while they are on sale. Someone on another group said that the Sigma is very similar to Glide in looks and quality.

Should I take the plunge or not? Can't see paying $12 shipping for just one cone to try out....... plus I don't know how long the sale will last. Of course, I don't really ***need*** more thread at the moment. Just planning on quilting lots of tops this winter.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 PM

I have not used Sigma...looked it up and its a two ply. Glide is a 3 ply. Not sure if that makes a difference..just an observation!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 AM

Haven't tried the Sigma but use their embroidery thread with no issues whatsoever.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

maybe if you call them you can get 'adjusted' shipping for one cone- I have successfully done that before- when ordering a pattern & finding the shipping was $8 I called- they put the pattern in an envelope & charged me 54cents. many places are willing to 'adjust' to actual instead of the *across the board* shipping amounts when you call & ask them to.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:30 AM

I have not heard of Sigma. I use Glide and love it. I would be hesitant to order a bunch of the Sigma before trying.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have used both and I have also used the Sigma product Metro. I found no discernable difference in quality of thread. I do try to support made in the USA business and products whenever possible. so my only beef with Sigma and Metro is that both products are made in China. Glide is USA made.

Both Sigma and Metro are very shiney threads. Even more so than glide. They don't seem to sink down into the fabric as much as the glide. Glide is a 40 wt but it really has a look and feel of a 60 when quilting with it.

If you do a lot of charity quilts and don't have the "political" stance I do of trying to support made in the USA whenever possible, even if it means paying more, (Which I will do if I am getting a quality product AND helping to keep an American employed in the manufacturing sector), by all means go with the Sigma and Metro.

Also, I have only recently tried these products so I can make no claim to their durability in a quilt. But they look pretty and run through the LA just fine.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the information! I quilt only for myself and do only a modest number of charity quilts, so I think I am going to simply stay with Glide for now. I would try out Sigma if I were doing lots and lots of quilts. Maybe someday.....