Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine >

Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 AM

Default Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Two years ago I received a Brother Innov-is 40, Project Runway, model NS40, sewing machine for my birthday. It works great for piecing and I would like to attempt quilting using this machine. It came with the extension table and both a darning foot and walking foot. My concerns are how well this little sewing machine can handle the bulk of a quilt sandwich. Also, as this is my first attempt using my machine to quilt, suggestions for batting and thread and any other supplies to make this an easy and successful adventure are much appreciated and welcomed. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Start with quilting a table runner to get a feel for how to quilt on your machine. There are a couple of ways to quilt. Straight or slightly curved lines with a walking foot and the feed dogs moving the quilt. Free motion quilting with your darning or hopping foot. The FMQ is usually done with the feed dogs down and you control the stitch length by how fast you move the sandwich and the speed of your machine. Which method do you plan to use?
A lower loft batt is generally easier to maneuver through a domestic sewing machine. Find a thread that works well in your machine and try out some practice samples to set your tension set if you are trying FMQing.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Thank you. Your suggestions are valuable.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:52 PM

http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
This is a good website for practice panels for FMQ. Start small and there is also a book about machine quilting in sections. I love Ann Peterson on craftsy and pasty Thompson has some good free YouTube videos on it as well. Many also like Leah day as well. She also has some craftsy classes as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM

I quilt on a domestic machine. The largest quilt so far is a 54 x 54. It was tough. I spray baste and pin due to the amount of rolling and squishing of the quilt. Most of my quilts are now 4' x 6'. This way only 2' of the quilt has to be rolled and put in the throat at one time. When I get close to the center, I push and pull the quilt all the way around to the other side.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:32 PM

There is a Craftsy class called Big Quilts on a Small Machine, designed specifically for instruction on how to quilt on small machines.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Also, check out Leah Day's website. Hopefully she will both inspire and help you.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...tart-here.html
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 PM

When you are making the quilt. Divide it into 3 or 4 sections . 1/3's 1/4's . Sandwich in these sections , I spray baste with 505 , now ready to quilt on the dm . Remember the edges where the quilt pattern would continue. Leave about 1 inch not quilted to join to next piece after it is quilted. This way means less bulk and not as much push and pull.when quilted over can't see joins.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 AM

"Just do it" - I've quilted three king size quilts on my DSM - 120 x 120, 110x110, 110x110. I start in the center of the quilt and then just keep working outward. I have three 2 x 4 folding tables (available at Walmart, Sam's club, and Amazon.com) - I place one in front of my sewing machine and the other two at the left side. That way the weight of the quilt is fully supported. Wouldn't think of sending out my quilts to be longarmed. Good luck and yes, you can do it.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Which machine do you use? My Singer is dying and I'm looking for one for gen sewing/quilting, etc.