Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine >

Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 AM

Tartan: Your information is very much on target for what I THINK I need to take the plunge and just start. I have 2 quilt tops ready for quilting, and I think straight line quilting is appropriate in some places and FMQ appropriate in others. One is a big block pattern of various reds and blacks surrounded by 2 borders. The other is a dolphin panel surrounded by borders, including a 6"border of varying size strips.

Dolphyngyrl: I will check out this website; thank you! I have done some limited "looking" at Petersen and Day, but plan to revisit them and Patsy Thompson, too. Thank you!

toverly: I have suspected exactly what you have confirmed as to the difficulty of quilting on a small machine, but you have also told me it CAN be done. The throat or workspace on mine is small, about 6". Thank you!

EllieGirl: I have just recently purchased this course and look forward to learning from it and applying what I learn. Thank you!

Peckish: I plan to revisit Leah Day as I am an admirer of her creativity and ability. Thank you and thank you for your later post with her email address!

Pennyhal: Good luck in your search for a sewing machine with a large throat! They are definitely pricey. I just wish I could find that perfect machine that does it all: quilting, serging, embroidery, etc. And handwork does bring a lot of satisfaction. Thank you!

Purplefiend: Thanks for the feedback and thanks for identifying your machines and the throat size. It sounds as if I just need to give it all whirl. Thank you!

Rubesgirl: This thing of mine probably weighs in the 10-12 pound range. I am glad to hear you have had no problems using it for quilting. The light weight and durability from plastic parts have had me concerned. Thank you!

DottyMo: I have heard of working from the center outward, but not to divide it the way you describe. Thanks! It makes wonderfully good sense.

CAS49OR: I was not aware of the Janome/Brother similarities or the double raise of the pressure foot. Excellent information to file away. Thank you!

suern3: Again someone references Leah Day. Thanks!

Brenwalt: I love your approach! JUST DO IT!!! The hardest part of finishing something is getting started!

1949Mama: My machine is an innovi-s 40 project runway Brother.

Carolaug: Just to make sure I understand correctly...you do FMQ with a darning foot and DO NOT drop your feed dogs? My current skill level with quilting is zero, so this might be an interesting way for me to start; I have never done anything without having the feed dogs up. Thank you!

Shrabar: I am so jealous of your Dreamweaver; good luck with your repairs.

I wish to apologize to all for my delayed response as I have had to simply stop and be still for a while: my brand new knee replacement has become infected and I simply have not felt like doing anything. Thanks again for the excellent tips to get me started on FMQ and straight line quilting. My best to all of you!

Cheryl
Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Luray831 View Post
my brand new knee replacement has become infected and I simply have not felt like doing anything.
Oh dear. Rest up and take care of yourself. I hope you feel better and are back to 100% soon!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM

I have a janome 6500 and really like it. The throat is large and it has the stitches that any quilter would want! I'm sure the latest version of a janome would be even better! I've done several quilts on this domestic machine and wouldn't think of buying another machine!