Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 AM

Default walmart sewing machines

A friend called me and said she was at Walmart and they have Brother sewing machines. I have not been on here for a while due to a son having several emergency back surgeries so I don't know if this has been addressed. Of course with my memory doing odd things sometimes I may have just forgot. Does anyone have any info on the quality of these machines. I really would like to try FHQ, but my little Kenmore won't let me drop the feed. would appreciate any input about them.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

The machines sold at Walmart are okay for general sewing but I don't think the motors will hold up to the fast stitching. These machines are made for Walmart distribution at Walmart prices.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 AM

I know the way "Sam's Club" items used to be made and I would think that Walmart items would be the same. But it is just a guess. They approach mfgs. for a quote on an item that they want to sell. They give the price point, features and what they want to pay for the item. They then say they will move x amount of items over x amount of time. So mfgs. will "make" and item for that purpose and you get what you get. After buying a printer at Walmart, I did find out that it was made only for Walmart after I had problems with it. I took it back. Seems that when mfgs. are trying to win a bid, they will use cheaper components just to make the sale.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

They look very nice and have several of them and a couple of Singers. They all have small throats. I am sure they are good quality or they would have a different name. Like Bellaboo said, probably wouldn't hold to heavy fast sewing.
I have read on here there are some that have these. They will probably be along later.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 AM

If your feed dogs won't drop, you can cover them.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Personally I'd stay far away from Walmart machines. I got a brothers in January and it broke in August. I replaced that with a fancy pants singer and that broke within six days. Never again will I buy a Walmart machine. It's not worth the hassle. I switched to janome and haven't looked back. It was $250 (janome magnolia not the computerized one) and I love it it's my little work horse.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 AM

I've had a Brother CS 6000 for about six years. I only use it when going to my quilting group, group meets about 3times a month. I've found as long as I don't try to sew heavy seams, like extra thick fabrics the machine stitches fine. I wouldn't buy it for everyday sewing machine but if someone was just starting out sewing and knew that they couldn't hem jeans with this machine; this would be a great first machine.

As far as the Singer machines that Walmart sells, I wouldn't touch one of them with a ten foot pole! One of the groups I sew with had been given several of the Singer machines and we are always having some issue with those machines. And because the bobbin is a front loading bobbin and not a drop-in bobbin, it is much more difficult to put the bobbin case and bobbin in correctly. If a new sewer tried one of these, I would think they would never want to touch another sewing machine for the rest of their lives!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

They Brother machines that Wallmart sells are pretty good machines for the price.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 AM

I have a Brother SQ9000 that I bought at Wal Mart several years ago. They have the SQ9050 now and maybe even a newer one but I love my little machine. I did have an issue with one thing, the reverse button stuck once and all I could do stitch backwards. I called Brother and sent it for repair, to make a long story short by the time that it was shipped to the repair guy the button was "unstuck". He sent it back to me as is and it has sewn great ever since. I paid around $200 for it and it has done great. If it totally quit working today, I can say that I have honestly gotten my money's worth. If she is interested in quilting a quilt, the throat is small but I have done throws and baby quilts on it. The feed dogs do drop on these machines and they come with a walking foot and I think a free motion foot (not for sure but I know that I have one). Good luck on helping your friend with buying a machine!!!

Last edited by kjohnson0523; 10-11-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM

I've had a Brother from Walmart for years. It has sewn everything from prom dresses to reflective tape on miner's bibs. It has never offered me a single problem.