Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally Shocking new Quilt book !! >

Totally Shocking new Quilt book !!

Totally Shocking new Quilt book !!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM

For the puffiness of a tied quilt but without the resulting tails flopping about, how about using Turkey Tracks? I first learned of it on this board a few years ago, and really like it. I find it easier on my hands than tying, and like the look of it also.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...cks-t1753.html
Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 PM

I have tied all the quilts I have made along with some ladies from our church. That is how they did them and they last a long time. These ladies here did not have the time to hand quilt, they needed bedding to keep warm in the cold North Dakota nights. They were light and warm. If needed they could pile several on the bed. We used yarn of different colors to add pop to the quilts. We also did in the center on some and did the corner to corner on some. They were very nice. My father in law's dad used to quilt in the evenings after the outside work was done and he tied all his quilts. I have some left stored upstairs in this house where my FIL was born and raised and my DH also.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I recently purchased a new quilt book that had many patterns that I just loved. I kept looking at this book and knew something was different about the quilts, but could not figure it out. Finally on the second day of looking, I realized what it was: the quilts were all tied !!! Not one of the quilts in the book were quilted by machine or by hand. And I loved every single one of the quilts. They look soft and airy and so comfortable. I am on vacation now so I can't tell you the name of the book as it's at home. The book was written by two English women. I usually am very observant but my DH was in and out of the hospital and I was trying to finish my Christmas quilts etc, I think that is why I never noticed they were tied. I am definitely going to tie my next quilt, no doubt about it and use the lightest fluffiest batting I can.
I tie stuff I do, simply because I can't quilt for love nor money. Expect special ones that I send out. Glad to know someone is showing tied quilts for the beauts they are.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 PM

Was this a new book? I love the idea of tied quilts making a comeback. Thanks for sharing the turkey/ crow"s foot stitch suuzanprincess. I have never seen a quilt quilted that way. It's very pretty. I think what's happening is it's a fun economical way to quilt a quilt. We can't all afford to quilt by checkbook.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:53 AM

I for one, can hardly wait to find out the name of the book mentioned!!

Also, I have a question about batting. I've been using Warm & Natural for regular quilts, but as mentioned on this thread, the loftier batting sounds great for this tie method. Please give your opinions about which batting to use with this method of making quilts.

Thanks in advance,
Skeetersmom
Old 10-17-2013, 04:57 AM

I recently purchased a new quilt book that had many patterns that I just loved. I kept looking at this book and knew something was different about the quilts, but could not figure it out. Finally on the second day of looking, I realized what it was: the quilts were all tied !!! Not one of the quilts in the book were quilted by machine or by hand. And I loved every single one of the quilts. They look soft and airy and so comfortable. I am on vacation now so I can't tell you the name of the book as it's at home. The book was written by two English women. I usually am very observant but my DH was in and out of the hospital and I was trying to finish my Christmas quilts etc, I think that is why I never noticed they were tied. I am definitely going to tie my next quilt, no doubt about it and use the lightest fluffiest batting I can.
If you want the best and warmest batting you can buy and I believe the cheeps it is from Oakley Quilt Company (I don't think I spelled that right) If you want the link PM me. When we first started using it my mom threw a large piece (over yard square) in washing machine with blue jeans just to see how it held up. Not a bit of distortion. I have quilts over 50 years old that have been washed and washed. I tie all my quilts. When my son had a baby my mom made a quilt with hand embroidery on it (all very pretty) She sent it to a LA to be quilted. He called and thanked her and then said "could you make her a real quilt tho" LOL
My dad made a very simple frame Just 4 pieces o 2 X2's I stretch my quilts across that tight so they come up very "puffy" and comfortable. Maybe cost $10.00 at the most. My hands are getting crippled and I could NEVER hand quilt.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:03 AM

skeetersmom I just posted about polyester batting I use This is the link to their site http://www.okleequilting.com/store/
They will send you samples I believe. I either get the Cheep batting and double it or I use the 6 or 8 Oz (I think)
I buy a roll and partner with a friend because a whole roll will take up a space oh I would say 42 to 48 inches I would think so you need a place to store it!! LOL
Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Now be sure to post the name of the book when you get home - I'm sure there will be another "run" on that book too Love quilts - no matter how they are finished. I just can't bring myself to pay $100. - $500. for the quilting no matter how beautiful they are. Please don't misunderstand me I realize the talent and time it takes for LA to do their magic. But I like my quilts drug around the floor and a few gathered in the family room. My motto " why should a quilt last longer then me" now of course, most of my quilts WILL last longer than me LOL.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Wanabee, I would love to purchase this book but, couldn't find it at JoAnn's. Could you give more information, Title of the book or author?? I have two tied wool quilts my grandmother made many years ago from shirts/clothes. Looking at this book would give everyone some great ideas, etc. Thanking you advance

Carol Ann
Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM

please let us know the name of this book.