Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore Model 1422 will not zig zag >

Kenmore Model 1422 will not zig zag

Kenmore Model 1422 will not zig zag

Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Question Kenmore Model 1422 will not zig zag

Hello:
We have been given a Sears Kenmore zig zag machine Model 1422. It is in nice clean condition, sews straight stitch beautifully and we have the manual. We have followed instructions to the letter but it will not do any zig zag stitches. Is this a common problem with this machine or am I missing one little bit of detail in the instructions? Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM

It could be that the mechanism is stuck. I had a machine that wouldn't zig zag, and it took a lot of oil and manual manipulation of the zig zag mechanism before it freed up.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 PM

I had a Singer Golden Touch & Sew made back about 1969. After years of faithful sewing, it quit doing the zigzag sewing but did a very balanced regular stitch. In my case, a plastic wheel type something inside had the teeth worn off it & couldn't engage the zigzag stitch. Several hundred dollars later, it is like a new machine. Perhaps something similar has happened to yours, or maybe it's something as simple as a button or lever that needs to be pushed or moved. I wish I knew your machine so I could really offer some helpful advice, but I don't.

Good LUck!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 PM

If the machine is all metal inside and doesn't use cams, it's gummed up. This is where Tri-Flow shows it's strengths.
I'd start with a complete cleaning with the top and bottoms off if they come off as well as the ends too. Then T-F everything that moves or should move or looks like it should move.

Joe
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM

I had a machine that zig'd but didn't zag. I ended up having to re-time it's bobbin hook.Since it was an old machine that i essentially had gotten for free i googled/youtubed it then fiddled with it one afternoon. Before i even touched that gear i used a piece of paper to see if it was only stitching one line or going both way. Turns out when it did try to zigzag it wasn't picking up the zag thread and was just being pulled through the zig stitch. See i had both parallel needle holes but only a straight stitch was being formed.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Hello:
Thank you for your replies. Yesterday we did clean and oil the machine. It was very clean to start with. No rust, crud, etc. With the top off I checked all the dials and everything seemed to be free. No unusual noises. It is all metal and no cams. Checked the stitch on paper and only holes in straight line, not parallel.
What is "Tri Flow" and where can it be purchased? I am really puzzled.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Quilt Fan,

I see you don't get to the Vintage Sewing Machine section much. We have many threads here discussing Tri-Flow oil and grease.

It is a very high quality product that really does much more than regular sewing machine oil. Your machine is probably gummed up in the back and forth ZZ parts. Tri-Flow has solvents as well as lubricants that will get into these places and free up stuck parts.

You can get Tri-Flow oil and grease at Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }, and usually bicycle shops has the oil.

Joe
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM

On my Kenmore 1802, I had to physically move the needle bar from side to side, and oil at various places, until it freed up. There weren't really any visible signs that anything was wrong, it just wouldn't zig zag.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 AM

I had the same experience with several Kenmore machines. I had to push the needle bar with my hand and apply heat and solvent to get it to ZZ.

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
On my Kenmore 1802, I had to physically move the needle bar from side to side, and oil at various places, until it freed up. There weren't really any visible signs that anything was wrong, it just wouldn't zig zag.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 AM

Hello:
Have to admit that the only vintage machine we have is a Featherweight that was in wonderful condition when found 3 years ago.
Yesterday we did get the machine to zig zag and do a blind hem stitch. None of the other stitches. In one case the special stitch dial was in a position other than the stitch done, so it may be that dial is not working properly and not switching to other stitches.
We do have two bicycle shops and a nearby neighbor has 5 bicycles so will check with them.
Thank you for the suggestions.