Ferret with fleas - help!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Ferret with fleas - help!

My friend's granddaughter's ferret got a horrible infestation of fleas from a visiting dog. Poor Jack is in misery and has scratched out clumps of hair. I know he's been shampooed with Dawn several times per instructions of the pet shop. Not sure what else they have tried.
Any recommendations?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Every soft toy or material he has been in contact with needs to be washed and dried. The whole house needs to be vacuum top to bottom paying particular attention to the baseboards and carpets. Make sure the vacuum bag is put in the trash outside.
Can a ferret get the flea drops that dog and cats get on their back? Maybe ask the vet if he can have a flea collar. Give him another wash after the whole house is done and perhaps he needs cream rinse so his skin is not dry.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM

If you have carpet, the fleas will get in it. Boric acid will kill the fleas by drying them up and is safe for pets and kids. You can buy it under the name Roach Pruff or something similar at most stores in the pest control section and it isn't expensive. I would vacuum good and as Tartan says dispose of the vacuum bag. Then spread the boric acid like carpet freshner and work it in with a broom. Put it under couch cushions and such and don't vacuum for a few days. Borax is also mainly boric acid and you can get it in the laundry detergent section. it's called 20 muleteam borax or something similiar. You'll have to bathe the poor thing regularly for a while because the flea eggs will continue to hatch for a while. Tartan has a good idea to use conditioner if possible. I use dollar store shampoo and conditioner with olive oil on one of my cats with dry skin. Hope the little fellow feels better soon.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Becky is taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what they can do for him. He looks like an old moth eaten fur coat, poor thing!

He's staying with her for awhile until he gets better. There's very little in the building (candle production facility) that would host fleas. There is low pile carpet but it is pretty much soaked with wax. Lol!

I'm thinking couches etc at the DGDs house would need treated. They don't have carpet thank goodness!

Will remind her about washing his carrier. And tell her about the Boraxo/Roach Pruff for the carpet. Oh, and the conditioner sounds like a good idea too.

Don't think a flea collar would stay on him. He's pretty much straight up and down. Maybe if put it between his legs like a harness?

Thanks for the info. Knew somebody here would have good ideas!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

Some people are a flea magnets. Once the problem seems to be fixed, have people walk around with white socks. If any fleas remain they are easily visible on the socks. I'm surprised no one has been complaining. Nothing is as itchy as flea bites on the ankles, okay maybe poison ivy but I am a magnet for both.

Last edited by Tartan; 10-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

poor baby, my little girl Dweezil and boy Sterling got them at the lake. too them home and put them in the tub with flea soap for about 1/2 hr. took care of it. hope your little guy is feeling better soon.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:07 PM

I wouldn't try a flea collar or drops these could make him very sick. They need to ask the vet if a ferret can tolerate a low dose of Comfortis. I live in FL where the fleas Never die. They can be dormant for months until a host happens by. Comfortis is one of a new class of flea killing agents that a dog takes internally. I think there is a cat version also. Must be taken on a full stomach and we break the tablet in 1/2 and give the doses 3 days apart. It's expensive so we want to make sure it doesn't get thrown up. It is a miracle drug, fleas are gone within the hour- it's amazing.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM

I wouldn't do a thing without checking with your vet -- what you would do for a cat or dog could be fatal for a different animal. Poor little one....please let us all know how he does, would you?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Go to a vet then call an exterminator. If the Ferret has fleas so does the house. In a matter of a few weeks the house can be infested and by the time the over the counter methods work you will have spent more time and have more stress then the exterminator would cost.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Poor baby!!! Hope you get him some relief soon! As everyone said do not forget about the house or you will have a mess all over again.