Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple? >

Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Default Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple?

We have been invited to my dh's third cousin's wedding via a phone call from the grandmother. I tend to go practical with gifts. Curious what type of things you like to give. I've enjoyed gifting quilts in the past, but usually to closer family members plus time is getting short. I'm thinking of an assortment of everyday kitchen items (i.e. cookie sheet, timer, cookie scoop, mixer, cutting board, etc.) plus a basic cookbook or homemade apron. I'd prefer to give them something to open versus $ or a gift card, but it's tricky not duplicating a small appliance, etc. Without a written invitation, I'm unsure of any registry. THX for any ideas/input. :-)
Old 11-03-2013, 12:33 PM

I agree that you want to avoid duplicate small appliances, but it's so hard to think of anything original. I used to give ice cream makers, especially to very young couples who will be cash-strapped and still needing to make friends in a new community. I always figured the ice cream maker would give them an excuse to invite new friends over and make ice cream. We always got lovely thank you notes, but I don't know if any ice cream ever got made.

Probably the coolest gift we received that wasn't on our registry was a gorgeous Pendleton blanket. DH is huddled under it right now, watching football.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Is it just a wedding or a reception too? Here the presents usually go to the reception. If you haven't RSVP'ed to the reception, you will not be included in the final count. I think your safest bet would be a card with money so it can be handed off to someone from the family.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM

I think your idea is brilliant!! Many years ago we were invited to a wedding when money was in short supply!! I knew the couple would receive some top quality presents from other guests! I bought a colourful bucket and filled it with cleaning items!! A washing line, pegs, floor and dish cloths, washing up liquid, rubber gloves etc!! I wrapped it in beautiful paper and bows!! They were thrilled!! Everything they got was very decorative...but they thanked me for being practical!!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:44 PM

I'm assuming they will be wed in their small country church with a casual gathering in the church hall afterward. To be honest, I'm a little miffed to have been invited by phone indirectly - felt like an afterthought - especially since it did not come directly from the bride though she is a sweetheart.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:13 PM

You'll never, ever go wrong if you give cash. I always feel that making quilts etc. is a bit risky.... what I like, someone else may wrinkle their nose at and bury at the bottom of a drawer. Since everything is SO expensive these days, who couldn't use the extra money?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM

If they are just starting living together they would not have a supply of spices and food flavoring. When my house burned someone I didn't even know brought over a box with spices and flavorings just starting all over it was a much appreciated gift however if they have been living together they pprobably wouldn't need this.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 AM

Would you have time to make some nice place mats, and maybe napkins? Then, included a small check for 'dinner', if you wanted to spend more.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 AM

I think you have a great idea although all those little items can add up to quite a big bill. When I go to any event I try to wrap gifts in something useful rather than use gift bags or wrapping paper. The last wedding shower I went to I wrapped a set of sheets in bath towels and used the hand towels and wash clothes as the "bow" or rose on top. The quilt I gave them for the wedding was in a decorative box they could use for storage at home. They loved both. Baby shower gifts I wrap in receiving blankets or hooded bath towels. Just a little extra gifting that I enjoy.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 AM
dd

I made the girl from church a casserole carrier and she said that was her favorite gift. All growing up she said she was going to have a potluck reception for her wedding because she loved potlucks so much. In the end her mom wouldn't let her. I gave her the carrier because I knew she would use it at her new church. I also have her placemats and napkins at the wedding. The carrier was for the shower. Add the dish and your favorite recipe.