Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-24-2013, 04:57 PM

There actually is a difference between a guild and a club. A guild's main function is to improve the skills of their membership. Most require some kind of administration because they are raising money for programs or speakers and such. They have to register with the state as a nonprofit or pay taxes and in order to do that, officers must be assigned.

A club can be exactly like a guild or far more informal. Most quilt clubs that i know of do not raise money except to pay for their meeting space.

I'm not a fan of meeting at a quilt shop not only because of temptation, but also feeling awkward critiquing a product that the shop may sell. However, it is much fun to meet with the same 6 or 7 folks while you are sewing. I was in the process of creating a new group of handsewers to meet at Borders and then Borders closed. The main library won't give us space because there is a quilting group already (not very friendly). I found out that this does not restrict meeting at a branch. I would love to meet at a coffee shop, but they are all so darkly lit. I can't even knit at Starbucks, much less thread a needle. My brother has mentioned to approach a couple of restaurants that have blocked off areas for birthday parties. One if his clubs meets in such an area, so I will try that. Certainly better lit with no restrictions on beverages.