Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Patience and light tapping with PB Blaster >

Patience and light tapping with PB Blaster

Patience and light tapping with PB Blaster

Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Default Patience and light tapping with PB Blaster

Give the product time to work......

The night before last I tried to wind a bobbin on a 'new to me' 301A and the bobbin winder would not move...stuck like it was glued!

Even though I couldn't see any rust, I sprayed the winder with PB Blaster, then put some batting on top of it and sprayed the batting again until it was soaked with PB Blaster. I wrapped it with a plastic bag and let it soak overnight. The next morning the winder would not move yet.

So I repeated the spray process and let the winder soak for another 12 hours. After I gently tapped the winder with a hammer, it turned with ease. I may have been able to spin the winder if I tapped it with a hammer after the first overnight soak, but I didn't think of it. The instructions on the can said to 'tap the stuck item gently' to allow the product to seep into tiny crevices and get to the rusted areas.

Don't give up...give the product time to work

Nan
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

great post! Some folks I have seen on this board seem to think that these products work like magic. drip on, small poof!, and viola! it's fixed! (NOT!)

My grandfather used to refer to these products (Brasso in particular) as "elbow grease enhancer" you have to put a little bit of effort and patience in the mix!