Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can anyone tell me what this is? >

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Can anyone tell me what this is?

I have purchased two Necchis and the first one is a BU Mira and the second one I brought home yesterday, a Supernova Automatica. The electrical cords were shot on the Mira and I wanted to finish cleaning it so I removed the part that houses the electrical stuff, pardon me as I do not know the proper term for that box unit but it is attached to the motor on the back of the machine and I saw a bunch of what looks like small squares of wax paper...lots of them squished together?

I would like to know what they are and what they are for. Are they yellowed due to age and do they now need to be replaced? They look like if I touched them they would just crumble apart. Thanks a bunch to anyone who can shed light on the subject.

Please do not direct me to the Necchi yahoo group. I was a member all of last week and it was awful for me, I haven't been in any yahoo groups since I had several of my own years ago and I really dislike this list/email format they switched to. Makes me dizzy.
Attached Thumbnails 025.jpg  
Old 11-09-2013, 04:54 AM

It looks like some sort of insulation. Well to me it does anyhow.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 AM

The wax paper thing you see is a step transformer. It is not something to be repaired/replaced by novices. I'm unsure of its purpose in your machine unless it steps down your light voltage.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Necchi people at th factory or where ever I phone do not care about you or your machine--after all they sell them with no warrenty---I bought one here in Brandon, Manitoba about 3 years agop--in the first yr. it was to the repair man 3 times--once it was sewing backwards---when it was supposed to be going frontwards It works no but since I bought a beautiful Phaff--Quilters Expressions 4--I would not trade it for anything. I take the Necchi to classes in a sewing machine caddy---

Last edited by taffy; 11-09-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by taffy View Post
Necchi people at th factory or where ever I phone do not care about you or your machine--after all they sell them with no warrenty---I bought one here in Brandon, Manitoba about 3 years agop--in the first yr. it was to the repair man 3 times--once it was sewing backwards---when it was supposed to be going frontwards It works no but since I bought a beautiful Phaff--Quilters Expressions 4--I would not trade it for anything. I take the Necchi to classes in a sewing machine caddy---
Marlene all of my machines are vintage and most of the machines we talk about on this forum are vintage to bona fide antiques which means they are well past their warranties. I started with vintage machines so I could fix them myself.
So sorry you had such a bad experience with your new Necchi.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
The wax paper thing you see is a step transformer. It is not something to be repaired/replaced by novices. I'm unsure of its purpose in your machine unless it steps down your light voltage.
Thanks Ron, I will have my husband tackle it.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 11-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.