Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas deco for outside help! >

Christmas deco for outside help!

Christmas deco for outside help!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Default Christmas deco for outside help!

I am looking for CHEAP easy decorations for outdoor trees. We have several large (20 to 35ft) pine trees around our homes and are looking for something to decorate them that can be seen during the day. We have put more money than I want to think about in lights on them (thank goodness for LEDS) but really want to do something we can look at during the day. I am fairly crafty so able to do most anything. Just running out of the good ole green back. We live in a rural area so many cars do come by to look at night. Last year we put music to the lights but most did not work as the trees were too far apart and most not close enough to receive the radio waves needed to work properly. This year may just be music. I do love the Christmas season. I continue to be as much of a kid as my boy (46) and his kids.
Will be watching for your ideas, now to get back to the sweatshirt jackets I am making to those "special kids" that will not be getting much from Santa this year. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM

put CD' back to back - tie with red ribbon thru the holes leaving enough ribbon to tie on tree, sparkle when wind turns them & super glittery with lights on at night.
String packing peanuts into garland.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I gift wrap BIG boxes with plastic wrap or upholstery vinyl.
Coloured duct tape and sparkly garland works good for the ribbons and bows.
Set them under your tree.

There's lots of plywood cutouts that could be made that would have show-ability during the day time.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Maybe make some orange/clove pomander balls, you could use a waterproof fabric or plastic or beads to hang them.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Poma...hristmas-gift/
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Where we used to live, people would decorate the front fencing with garland and red bows. The bows were waterproof and withstood storms. Since you already have the trees, how about some red bows? We used to get ours from WalMart; they were inexpensive and could be used from year to year.

Please be careful with anything shiny, if your trees are near a street with traffic. Sun can reflect off of shiny objects and blind motorists.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 AM

My suggestion might be good for next year.

A few years ago, I found some plastic decorative ball ornaments with hooks on clearance at Target right after Christmas. I bought them and hung them in our maple trees. We got a TON of compliments from the neighbors. I think I paid all of $5 for about 50 balls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446349[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails christmas-card-2.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM

I was at dollar tree today they had a lot of bigger decorations In fact I got several for my grandaughter to decorate out side they do not look weatherproof BUt I had some and put them in a wreath and put it our truck it even went through the truck wash twice and still looked good a month later and trucking we were in all kinds of weather
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM

I can't decorate our trees, I am allergic to the sap and the needles.
We put up at least 3 "not natural" trees in the house. This year I may put up a 4th one.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Thanks girls for all the suggestions. I am going to try the C/Ds as I have about 80 of them. Also Dollar Store ornaments hoping they will hold up. May even put real popcorn out for the birds depending on time allotment. We had snow last night and I had to get in the car and go to the road to see my lights. WOW! They looked great! More lights to go up this weekend. Hope no rain.... Now I am in the Christmas mood. Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Another idea would be to prune your trees (if they need it) ... and make wreaths to place on lamp posts or your doors. Or just tie together some boughs and do the same.

Another is to make a giant wreath and set it out on your lawn propped up. You can decorate it with lights and all the normal things ... just oversized!