Did anyone see this ebay ad?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Default Did anyone see this ebay ad?

It is for a plain 5 drawer singer cabinet. He wants $599.00 for it. This auction is for a Singer treadle style sewing machine that was made in 1905, and for many accessories for this sewing machine.
This sewing machine was made for the Egypt area of the world, and has the Sphinx painted on it.
The cabinet for this machine has 5 drawers. There are two drawers on each side and one in the middle.
This is a very rare chance for you to buy a treadle sewing machine in this condition, and that has many of the original accessories.
The accessories for this treadle sewing machine include:
One instruction book on how to use the sewing machine, and is dated from 1905.
One instruction book on how to use the sewing machine accessories, and is dated from 1905.
One key for locking the 5 cabinet drawers.
Three cork holders with 6 spare needles for the sewing machine.
One wooden box that unfolds to lie flat, which holds many interchangeable attachments for the sewing machine.
The accessories can be seen in the pictures.
This treadle machine was in working condition when I bought it, and has only been used as a show piece since I bought it.
They only thing that I see that is wrong on this sewing machine is the band that loops around the sewing machine and the treadle part. This band is what makes the treadle and sewing machine work together. The band was originally cut and the 2 cuts ends were attached together with a piece of metal like a large staple. This was done so that the band could be threaded through the cabinet, and then could easily be placed in the grooves on the sewing machine and treadle. One of the ends of the band has eroded, and the metal piece no longer holds the 2 ends together. This could be fixed or replaced by someone who works with leather. The band that is on this sewing machine is getting stiff and old. Replacing the band with a leather one, or something like leather, could make this sewing machine a very workable and usable sewing machine for a long time.

A chance to buy a Singer treadle sewing machine in this condition, and with this many of the original accessories does not happen very often.
This could be a great item for anyone who loves to sew, and wants a piece of sewing history.

Local Pickup only please. It takes 2 people to lift this item.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM

Nope, but at least the seller gave it a good try, as opposed to the lazy sellers that just pull a price out of their keister.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Oh my - I did a search for Singer Treadle then sorted it by price - there are a bunch of heavy "smokers" on ebay too!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 PM

"Made for the Egypt area of the world"? Erm... America was in love with all things exotic and mysterious in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Egyptian and Oriental motifs were applied to anything with an available surface, and practically guaranteed sales. I have some wooden packing crates c1900 from the Egyptian Lacquer Company (of Chicago, Illinois), complete with a winged lady logo. That Singer is as American as Apple Pie!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 PM

Also wondering how the discovery of King Tut's tomb affected the designs placed on objects for sale also.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

If everything is in nice condition, they aren't that far off the value. The Sphinx decals are rare. And the puzzle box of accessories he describes sometimes sells for a LOT of money just by itself (upwards of $150.) It's a little high, but probably worth every bit of $300 or $350 if both machine and cabinet are in pretty condition. The treadle belt is no big deal at all. Probably just needs to be sewn together, not even replaced.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM

I didn't think the Sphinx decals were that rare - in fact I think it's one of the most common ones to be found on treadle Singer 27's, at least in UK that is - I have one myself for 1904- but I don't know what machine is in the ad as I haven't actually seen it.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 AM

I'd also disagree that the sphinx decals are rare. In looking for almost a year, that is by far the most common pattern I have found. And I've never seen a puzzle box sell for much over $100 and this is for one of the rare styles with ALL of the parts. More often they sell for $25-$50 range (including shipping).

But it does no harm to ask for a lot of money for something - and you never know . . .
Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Missed that one but I hope nobody beats me to this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/181264265257....m1438.l2648:p
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by chance View Post
Missed that one but I hope nobody beats me to this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/181264265257....m1438.l2648:p
Oh my Chance...I just took a sip of coffee when I clicked on the link and I ended up spitting out the coffee! I want whatever this lister is smoking!