Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where Were You November 22, 1963? >

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

I was in the 8th grade. Had convinced my parents that I should be off school for the day so that a friend of mine and I could take a bus to downtown Dallas and see the President and Mrs. Kennedy when they came thru. I had made the bus trip to my friends mothers house, and before we could catch the next bus to get downtown, we heard the awful news. The next few days I remember my grandfather was at my mother's house, and we all were glued to the TV. I can still hear the drums as the cason with the horses bore the Presidents coffin down the street. It seemed we were all in shock.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 PM

I was the wife of a GI with 2 little babies, we were stationed in Rome, NY. I was doing the dishes when the news came over the radio. My husband was at work on base and we did not hear from him for 3 days. Very stressful times for us all.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:07 PM

I was 16 and at home from school with a sore throat and fever. I was watching TV when it happened and I started thinking that I wish I had not seen it on T\V because I still remember Jackie turning and reaching for her fallen husband. Someone shot our President on TV...I was amazed that we actually saw it happen, then watched it all again and again! I blamed the advancement of live broadcasting for the sadness of our nation. I remember vividly his little son saluting his Daddy...and again we all watched it on TV. That's the part that was so amazing to me! We watched it together, we grieved together, and our nation was changed forever!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 PM

I was 6 1/2 years old & in the first grade. We lived on the base in Texas (my dad was military) and when the Presidents plane landed we children were there on a field trip. I remember being in shock when I saw he'd been shot...I remember the black and white tv screen shots so clearly. This was during the time that we children were taught to huddle under our desks when the alarms sounded, with hands over head -- it was a scary time in our history. There were lots of those 'moments in history' in my childhood that I never forgot.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

10 yrs old. 5th grade. scared like we were going to war! funny how a kid's mind works overtime. Mrs. Browne cried so we all wanted to go home.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 AM

I was a 4th grader in El Paso base school. We were at lunch when it was announced. I could remember people crying. We left school early and stayed home for what seemed like a really long time--(I guess it was a weekend and we had Monday off). Kennedy had come to El Paso on his trek around. I got to see his limo with all the flags on the military base I lived on, just a day or so before he was killed.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM

I was expecting #3 and #1 had just come home from school, #2 was watching tv when the nes broke in and said the president had been shot. I was in the bedroom sewing and got up to go look at the tv. I was absolutely dumbfounded! Who would have the audasity to do such a thing? Lived in St.Lawrence, Tex.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:28 PM

I remember that day so vividly. I was vacuuming and mopping the floors. I was so upset and could not believe what I was hearing on TV. I particularly remember Walter Croncrite making the announcement about the President. He was so overcome, he had to stop momentarily. It was a very sad time in our country. It is hard to believe it has been 50 years.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 AM

This was posted on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch web site this morning. I grew up in St. Louis and I remember reading the paper with this front page!

http://bit.ly/1dmZA0f
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM

I was in the Supermarket and was so stunned when they announced over the PA system what was happening. It was truly a day of tears for all of this country