Treadle belt

Old 11-19-2013, 07:18 PM

Default Treadle belt

New to the treadle world . Replaced belt but how do you know if it is too loose? I can get it going but there is a point where it feels like it is hard to keep up the rhythm . I'm sure it isn't to tight but will too loose cause this?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM

Yes. I installed one too loose, and it would hardly treadle. Once I tightened it up, it worked like a dream.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM

beauford,

Tight enough is just tight enough so the belt does not slip. I've found that when the belt is at that point, it really looks too loose.

I've never had trouble with the rhythm due to a too tight or loose belt. Just because I couldn't develop a steady pace on the machine. It took a while but I finally got the .... rhythm of it.

Joe
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Banned

When we have a lot of folks trying out our machines at shows the one thing I noticed is that people try to treadle too fast at first. It is a rhythm thing not a race to the finish.

The one thing that I was able to say that seemed to help folks treadle a bit smoother is to think of it as more like dancing then like running a machine. Work with your partner, you don't just decide on a speed and poof you treadle that fast. With that said, some of my machines naturally run smooth as silk slowly, while other hum along at a good clip as their natural rhythm.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Yes. Steve is correct. Easy does it. Just keep up the momentum. You are supplying power, not speed. As you get more practiced, then speed will come. I learned on a treadle and it made my mom mad when I went too fast, then I sewed a finger. Just beside the nail and that was enough to learn my lesson. They are fine old machines. Just supply oil and belts.
Donna