Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i need some....quiltboard wisdom and opinions. >

i need some....quiltboard wisdom and opinions.

i need some....quiltboard wisdom and opinions.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
If it was mine I wold sew it together and give my gran, without anymore quilting on the border. I would include a message will finish with love on my visits. Sit chat and enjoy her company and you hand stitch while you are visiting. She will enjoy your company and the quilt at the same time. My gran wanted visitors no matter when or what you do. My gran always left the most important thing to tell us to when we were leaving, just to keep us a few minutes longer.
The quilt even if WIP will keep her wrapped in love when you go.
I so agree with this. while you are visiting her and handquilting away, take avantage of your time with her. Memories that will never fade away!!! make her talk about a nicest time before she met your grandfather. They had it hard, harder than us but they also knew how to appreciate good simple times!

Last edited by helou; 11-25-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 AM

You've gotten some great advice. I too would complete it without quilting the border and finish the border at a later time. It's so important to give gifts while they can appreciate it. She will love it, because you made it. It will not look unfinished once it is bound.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 AM

if i bind it without quilting that big border am i going to have a problem?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
If it was mine I wold sew it together and give my gran, without anymore quilting on the border. I would include a message will finish with love on my visits. Sit chat and enjoy her company and you hand stitch while you are visiting. She will enjoy your company and the quilt at the same time. My gran wanted visitors no matter when or what you do. My gran always left the most important thing to tell us to when we were leaving, just to keep us a few minutes longer.
The quilt even if WIP will keep her wrapped in love when you go.

I agree with all the loving comments posted but I liked Dottymo the best. Give it to her unfinished and when you visit her, you can work on it and enjoy each other's company!!

PS I would baste the border before doing the binding then there won't be a problem when you get back to hand quilting the border. Good Luck !!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
hey

i've been working on and off on a quilt for my very very much beloved gran. i pieced it up in a pretty short time and then started hand quilting (you know..she's my gran and i wanted something really really special for her.)

so i have one more dragonfly in the centre of one more block to hand quilt. that's three more hours and then the sashing and blocks are all done.

but when i designed the quilt i put a 10" border on it because there's an amish cable i have always wanted to do.

now my gran is 89. and the last year hasn't been great. and i really want to give this to her at christmas.

i might be able to get it done by hand, but i might not. straight line quilting is a lot faster than fussy, hoop turning detailed motif quilting, but not THAT much faster....

i want you guys to either encourage me to keep stitching by hand or to git 'er dun and machine quilt the cable.

i am just spent but i don't want to regret m y decision either way. i figure if i can hear what you guys think it will strengthen my resolve one way or the other.

thank you. so much.

aileen

Instead of quilting, would tacking look too out of place for the border?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like you may not have enough time to do the slow hand quilting. More important for her to have a quilt, she probably needs the warmth and be able to enjoy it as long as she can.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 AM
QM
Power Poster

Finished is better than fancy in this case. Get the part you are on done by hand. IMHO, machine quilting the sashing and border would be fine. Dottymo's suggestion sounds good too, although you would probably need to machine quilt the outer part of the border first, so that the binding is not wobbly when you are finished.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM

i am going to quilt it with perle thread. this is a actually a great solution: faster, bolder and more visible stitches, a new technique for me (each quilt usually has one or two things i've never done before) and it will complete the handwork look of the quilt without compromise.

she'll have it by christmas. the border is a relatively simple cable, with two parallel cables and a stunning corner design. i am hoping the perle cotton stands out against the rather busy order fabrics. it's always so crushing for me to sit back and acknowledge that you can't really *see* handquilting you know?

yay!

and THANK YOU for all your good thoughts. you helped my pondering all day

aileen
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM

How about piano keys? I do that alot with busy and non busy borders. The straight lines would be quick and easy enough to do on a domestic machine if you want to machine quilt it..
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Glad you have decided what you are going to do. It will be perfect. Now git goin'. LOL