Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt patterns that have universal appeal >

quilt patterns that have universal appeal

quilt patterns that have universal appeal

Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 AM

Default quilt patterns that have universal appeal

I couldn't sleep last night. When that happens, I occupy my mind with quilting thoughts. Last night I started thinking about quilt patterns that would appeal to a large number of people. I figured that the old classic patterns and colors would have the greatest appeal. They seem to keep popping up through the decades. Scrappy patterns would also fit in there.

Then, this morning, I'm thinking that those are my favorite patterns, so that influenced my choices. I think that younger people would be drawn to more 'modern' patterns.
What do you think? Are there patterns and colour schemes that have universal appeal?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 AM

I think everyone has different tastes. Example, while they may be more practical in terms of decor, I cannot understand why anyone would make a brown quilt...
Old 12-01-2013, 06:21 AM

I think color themes in fabrics change every year. And the quilts we make are influenced by that. I know I was happy to see them bring in gray in the last year or 2. I personally love the traditional patterns, and patterns that have lots of pieces, I like to be challenged. I love all colors, I made my SIL a baby blue, tan and chocolate brown quilt for Christmas. I really like it and hope he will too. I have seen quilts at shows where the maker used colors together I never would have and I was just in awe of them, because they were so beautiful.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
I think everyone has different tastes. Example, while they may be more practical in terms of decor, I cannot understand why anyone would make a brown quilt...
I would normally agree, haha, but I'm currently planning a brown quilt for my dad who loves trains - so it will be browns, blacks, grays, blue, etc.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 AM

I love some shades of brown, especially the rich browns and 'fall' browns. To me, brown is a color of earth and basic comforts. Of course, there are also ugly browns . . . just like there are ugly shades, in any color.

On the other hand, some of the brighter 'popping' colors offend my senses. They just make me want to close my eyes and get away from them.

It really is interesting, how different colors affect different people. Sometimes I'll see a fellow QBer's quilt and just absolutely fall in love with the colors. Other times, I wonder, "What the heck was she thinking?!?" . . . although that very same quilt is adored, by many other QBers.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 AM
RST

Going back to the original question posed -- I have observed that there is a difference between the best-loved, oft repeated patterns for quilters vs. the general public. Quilters, who are making the block and who are dealing with the technical construction aspects, are either going to be drawn by the --fast, easy, fool proof OR the technical challenge taking my mad skilz to the limit type of blocks.

General public just wants it to "look right". So for them, at least the general public that talks to me -- it's more about balance and being visually pleasing.

My personal favorites are pretty classic. I love a good hst, 9 patch, log cabin, snowball, square in square. I have never liked making or looking at flying geese or saw tooth stars. They just irritate me.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 AM
DJ

Well, the classics are classics for a reason. Log Cabin is so versatile, it can take on many forms and styles. Depending on fabric selection, it can also look very modern. So, I think the classic blocks will be around for the ages. There is also a trend towards art quilts, which are all so different from each other that I don't think a classic, as such, will evolve from that style. One of the wonderful things about quilts and quilting is that is so individual (like art), so I don't think there are truly "patterns and colour schemes that have universal appeal". Interesting discussion!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:19 AM

I would think classic 9 patch patterns, Double Wedding Rings and Dresden Plates would all fit the "universal appeal" category. Grandmother's Flower Patch would be another one. I tend to go for less complex patterns than many of the blocks out there. I really don't go for blocks that have 40 individual pieces in them. I think they get too busy.
Rodney
Old 12-01-2013, 09:33 AM

The best thing about a scrappy quilt is that it doesn't have to be a particular color, so it goes with everything (and nothing ;-). Perhaps a modern design made with fabric scraps would be as close to universal as it gets?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM

The Polish people like them. I find myself NOT making them as I don't really like them as brown is not really interesting to me, but every time I make one, they get chosen, FIRST.