Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your best Christmas memory from childhood? >

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Default What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

I was just thinking about the cherry-go-round sweet rolls my mother would have waiting for us when we got home from midnight Mass and found myself wondering what other people remember with fondness from their childhood. Not surprised what I remembered was my mother's cooking!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Grandama and Grandpa's christmas tree!! I just loved it!!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Every Christmas my parents put one present under the tree that was for all of us kids. The last year before my parents divorced was the one I remember the most. We all sat in a circle and my father drew a name out and the one he called out got to open the present that had all our names on it. Imagine the look on all our faces when the box was opened and it was a box of monster finger puppets.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM

I remember the Christmas I was about 7- under the tree on Christmas morning was the most beautiful Eaton Beauty doll. She was unwrapped and standing under the tree. I still have her, although she is a little the worse for wear 55 years later. Then there was the Christmas my old aunt gave me a pair of knee length long underwear- but that's another story. LOL. My Mom was shocked- 'why would she give that to a kid' she said.
I remember chocolate coated peanut butter logs (maybe I will make them this year), Christmas pudding and the year I received a plastic candle at the Sunday School party (maybe I was 5). Simple memories.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM

I remember the nativity that my uncle made for our family. It was kept on our dining room buffet during Christmas and I always enjoyed seeing it and knowing what it meant about the Savior being born.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

ha, ha. the only one I really remember was when my Sister and I got large dolls. her's was a Spanish lady complete with red dress and black mantilla veil. mine was a blond Dutch girl. I wanted the Spanish lady!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Getting to buy a new fancy dress every year for church. I remember opening up what was the biggest box ever; it was a bean bag chair! Loved that.

I also remember my sister telling me the truth the day before and pointing to all my boxes under the tree and telling me what was in them. She was mean. Plain and simple. I was 6.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:56 PM

I remember my mom painting a nativity scene on roll up plastic of some sort. She would tape it in our picture window (south facing) every christmas. Looked so pretty. I have it now but it is a bit worse for ware. Not sure what I will do with it.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM

my mom used to sew clothes for my sister and me. She made us party dresses of velveteen. That Christmas we got dolls with matching outfits from the leftover fabric, like a Civil War era costume with cape and bonnet. The dolls were sitting on the sofa when we came down on Christmas morning.

Also, we used to decorate cut-out sugar cookies with my mom. This year I passed on her recipe and some cutters to my stepson, who makes cookies with his kids.

Last edited by ptquilts; 12-11-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM

I remember 2 things. We went to my aunt's on Christmas Eve and always drove by a white church with a steeple high on a hiil. It was Christmas Card pretty. Oh yeah, my aunt's spritz. Yum!

When I was a teenager, after the midnight candlelight service, my group of friends and I always drove to a ritzy neighborhood to see all the Christmas lights. This was years ago when few houses were decorated. We were impressed.